Joy is round: children make beloved soccer balls from trash

10 Responses to “Joy is round: children make beloved soccer balls from trash”

1. Kellen Blankenship says:

For anyone that enjoyed that article, check out this awesome organization – http://www.oneworldfutbol.com/.  Not affiliated, but I did buy two of them for a village I used to work in and they are amaaaaazing.

2. steve heath says:

I saw the same kind of homemade balls and barefoot kids through out many years of travel in Peru…jungle, mountain or desert the game was on, they had to play. Futbol is a universal language like dance or music. I love the spirit of youth.

3. Nawel says:

there’s a tradition of “home-made” soccer balls, made out of everything, in Southamerica. Old socks and old pantyhose are a good combo. Then you put some jackets or backpacks or whatever to mark the goals and you’re on! The street is your field!

• Symbiote says:

I used jackets or rucksacks for goalposts in the 1990s in the UK, and if we’d forgotten or lost the ball then a scrunched up drinks can or similar would suffice.

A rucksack works as cricket stumps, too.

4. $19428857 says:

I am acquainted with an older man who goes on church service projects to many impoverished areas, and he used to bring as many “store bought balls” as he could. He stopped doing it when he noticed the same thing happening over and over soon after he gave the kids a good ball:  it was confiscated by a parent and sold for food. Now he brings bags of old tennis balls, which he swears the kids love, but have no resale value, so they get to keep them. Given, it is hard to play soccer with one…

5. dioptase says:

My granny grew up during the Depression.  They had a clever way of making a ball.  When a hog could get butchered, they’d save the bladder.  It could be inflated to make a durable ball.

6. Paul Renault says:

My father once told me that to for playing hockey, they used to cut a small log into disks, and soak them in water for a while, then let them freeze.  Pucks.

7. Neill "Dire" Mitchell says:

This takes me back to my decidedly 1st world night shift warehousing job during collage. Packing foam and tape worked well.

8. lewarch says:

Lived in Africa and saw this.  My nephew came for a visit, soccer player in high school.  we brought soccer balls to give the kids and these guys schooled him!  I guess if you can make do with a soccer ball made of plastic grocery bags you do really well with a real ball!

9. Nagurski says:

Regretting turning away the photojournalist who wanted to document our  pretend  guns made of sticks and forts made from construction castoffs with fake gunfire when I was a kid.