The epic Venom banter mixtape, 1986

21 Responses to “The epic Venom banter mixtape, 1986”

1. OCNCTY says:

Reminds me of the Paul Stanley collection, People Let Me Get This Off My Chest.

2. Navin_Johnson says:

A true classic. It’s also on the absolutely essential “Celebrities at their Worst” collections, which is where I first heard this.

Indeed!, Indeed!

3. Marc Mielke says:

Cronos is classic. There’s an interview on the back of the “Manitou” cassingle that sounds like an NC-17 version of Spinal Tap.

4. I have been mentioning this for a few years, I heard this in Portland when someone put it on about 10 years ago. Awesome and hilarious.

5. beaker says:

Meh.  The banter is Insincere.  It can’t compete with the MC5, or even Gotta Keep a-Runnin’by the Godz.

6. Roose_Bolton says:

This is currently blowing my mind. I was talking about this gig (w/ Flag) with my buddy just last night. Can you imagine that lineup? Unusual…

7. vonbobo says:

Ricky: Helix was a wicked concert. Fuck, I sold a lot of dope at that concert. I mean, they had good lyrics like, “Gimme an R-O-C-K”, and the crowd yells “ROCK” really loud. Now that’s a fuckin’ concert!
    Bubbles: I’m not giving anyone a fuckin’ R!

Saw David Yow scream cuss words at people and spit on them, while wearing only a negligee which was back lit by stage lights. Now that’s a fuckin’ concert.

8. Quiche de Resistance says:

Rock over London, Rock on Chicago!

9. Bill Farrar says:

This was recorded when Venom played with Black Flag at City Gardens. God I wish I could have seen this.

• Bill Farrar says:

Also City Gardens wasn’t a dump. Ok it was kind of a dump but seeing 7 Seconds there was one of my first great punk experiences.

10. If all the songs were only 8 seconds long, I would go to every fucking show.

11. Charlie Bike says:

Wow! I just realized that DJ Q-Bert sampled 1:52 in that MP3 for his track “Cosmic Assassins” years ago. I always wondered where it came from.

12. chris jimson says:

Rollins mentions this show in his “Get In The Van” Black Flag tour diary.   On Venom: “They were hilarious.  It was like seeing Spinal Tap!”

13. Manel says:

Wow. I can’t believe I’ve never heard this before!  It totally rules!

14. The banter is amusing, but lawdy, they suck.

15. CliffordS says:

That Black Flag roadie was Mugger.

16. taras says:

The clip of him saying “You’re wild man – WILD” was sampled on the Beastie Boys’ track “Mark on the Bus”.

I guess the Beasties loved Venom, and this tape – there’s also a line in “Dedication” where they shout out to “Newcastle, where Venom come from” (as on the tape).

17. Tim Bugbee says:

Thurston Moore first brought this to light via a 7″ record on his label:

18. Beanolini says:

I never really understood the fuss about this- that’s what a Geordie rock band sounds like. Anyone who has hung around the Mayfair or Trillians in Newcastle will have been exposed to similar ‘banter’ many times.