Tales of the Weird: Unbelievable True Stories - best bathroom reader ever?

19 Responses to “Tales of the Weird: Unbelievable True Stories - best bathroom reader ever?”

1. Jacob Rakovan says:

Rimbaud poem about the colors of letters.

2. Laura Cochrane says:

My mom has that type of synesthesia, too! She told me she never talked to anyone about it growing up because she thought it was just something peculiar about her. Sounds like a great book.

3. cellocgw says:

Sacks has written a number of great articles about all sorts of synesthesia.  Fun stuff

4. Edward says:

If the kids like it sounds like a book i need to get.

5. I wrote an article on synesthesia once and heard from people who just realized they had it after reading my article! So cool. I wish I had that particular super power.

Also, on Celebrity Apprentice last season, the teams had to make some kind of pop song and Dayana Mendoza kept telling the musicians that she wanted the music to be more yellow, and the other contestants had all these reaction interviews like, “What the hell is she talking about? She’s INSANE.” Anyway, I hope someone eventually told her she might have synesthesia!

6. serfer0 says:

I’m really getting a laugh at the thought of you and the fam enjoying this book on the loo. Like, Mark throwing open the door, exclaiming, “Jane! Come take a poo! You gotta read this story about the Tunguska Blast!”

7. Daneel says:

I really don’t understand the idea of bathroom books. Why do people want to hang out there reading? Go in, get whatever you have do done, leave.

I sure as hell don’t want to touch a book that lives by the toilet and is handled by people using the toilet. Ick.

• Jake0748 says:

Because sometimes it takes people a little while to get things done.  And they just don’t want to sit there looking at a wall.  It really isn’t that uncommon.

And… your “Ick” threshold seems a little lower than average.

Edit: Oh yeah… There is a Seinfeld episode about this. “This book has been flagged”. :)

• marilove says:

Then you may want to avoid touching, well … anything in a bathroom.

I’ve always said that a good library is an important part of any bathroom!

I also like to take actual baths and read, and if I drop it, hey, it’s just a paperback meant to sit in the bathroom, anyway, so no foul.

Also, I grew up in a really busy and noisy house and had to share a bedroom — the only time I had any peace and quiet was when I was in the bathroom.  I used to spend hours in there, “taking a bath” (mostly just sitting on the closed toilet, reading!).

• B E Pratt says:

Eh, just wait til you get older. These days, I get a highly significant portion of my reading done in the bathroom. Since I don’t have a tub but do have a European style shower, I have also figured out how to read in there also.

8. Genre Slur says:

After having seen all of these ‘strange’ books posted recently, I feel that a shout out to Charles Fort is in order. It would be nice to see BB give credit to the man. I recommend his books, The book of the Damned, Lo!, New Lands, and Wild Talents.

9. dr says:

I owned and loved the whole Frank Edwards ouvre as a kid in the 60s, and it didn’t keep me from becoming a mainstream professor.  The best books to read as a kid are those that make you think; you have plenty of years left to get the facts straight.

(Though I still think that Brontosaurus was a dinosaur, Pluto is a planet, and ants can teleport in and out of your house…)

10. Chuck Mathias says:

Read “Stranger Than Science” (or possibly its sequel) at summer camp when I was 11, and it pretty much ended all possibility of sleep for the duration.  A doctor, watching in horror as puncture wounds appear in the arms of a woman who claims she’s being attacked by an entity only she can see?!? Turned me bowels to ice water, it did.

As for synesthesia, my variety isn’t anywhere near as colorful as some, but I’m curious if anyone here shares it:  I envision the days of the week as a corridor of connected rooms, each one slightly larger and more colorful than the one before, climaxing in a vast and riotous Saturday.

11. Mike Meyer says:

My mom had a copy of Stranger Than Science as well,  I think she probably got it by mistake from her book club.  It fascinated me, with stuff like the Tunguska Siberia event, and the story of Kaspar Hauser.

12. Petzl says:

I dont understand.  We had a thread on this subject a week ago.  What’s changed?