18 Responses to “TrackR: crowdfunded wafer with low-power Bluetooth helps you find misplaced wallet, etc.”

1. Roose_Bolton says:

Great, one more thing to lose.

Oh…wait…

2. bzishi says:

Neat idea, but … that poor iPhone. Someone has been abusing it (and I’m not just referring to having AT&T as the carrier).

• SamSam says:

I came here to say this.

Of course, the Stick N Find isn’t available yet, but I like that it’s significantly smaller and (at least at the pre-order prices) slightly cheaper. The app looks really nice too, and has an API so others can make apps. I’m very pleased I went for the four-sticker preorder.

If the TrackR is any better, though, it will be great to find that out.

• Phone Halo says:

The Wallet TrackR is slimmer and we designed and tested the device specifically for being sat on repeatedly.  What’s cool is that our app can track StickNFind devices as well as your bluetooth headset or even where you parked your car.  The app is available now.  Let us know what you think: http://appstore.com/itemtrackr

• SamSam says:

Hmm, it’s 0.2 mm thinner — not something that you could measure without calipers, so I’d have been hard-pressed to say that one was slimmer by looking at them, but I admit that’s slimmer than I thought it was by looking at the picture.

I’m excited that there are more of these devices coming out, and would certainly try your app if you reach your Android stretch goal.

3. Yep says:

I guess that’s a cheaper alternative to the solution I’m currently considering to avoid forgetting either wallet or phone… http://twelvesouth.com/products/bookbook_iphone5/

4. Andrew Singleton says:

Yet something else apparently inspired by Cory’s writing. At least that’s the solution they came up with in Makers to lost knock knacks.

5. Joel Moore says:

I gotta be honest. That doesn’t look all that slim… maybe it has the outer dimensions of a credit card but it’s a lot thicker looking.

6. niktemadur says:

it uses low-power Bluetooth

It had to work somehow, but I keep the iPhone bluetooth deactivated by default, one of those things that makes battery charge last a bit longer, a problem for me since I’m always listening to juice hog TuneInRadio.  Seriously, in just 1 1/2 hours the charge can go from 100% to around 60%.

• townandgownie says:

Your contention that turning off iPhone Bluetooth increases battery life is false. According to Apple’s own Bluetooth document, Bluetooth on modern iPhones and iOS 5 or 6 uses no power when Bluetooth is not in use and turned on.

• niktemadur says:

Opinions vary on tech blogs about that,
        For example, if the iPhone isn’t around a preferred network, Wi-Fi will be continuously searching, draining the battery.
        Same would apply if no Bluetooth “coupled” devices are nearby.  Although if the TrackR is nearby, everything should be cool.
        Then again, I’m still on the iPhone 4 and am in no hurry to upgrade, this one does everything I need it to do (when jailbroken, that is).

7. godfathersoul says:

I’ve had to deal with artwork theft a couple of times. I thought – o man, if only i had a GPS tracker on that…

This might be what I’ve been looking for.

edit: maybe not. there’s not nearly enough range on that… o welll

8. Chris McArthur says:

I have already made the connection between phone and wallet in my brain.  Now if I forget one, I forget the other.  My keys complete the trifecta.

9. WinstonSmith2012 says:

Is there a TrackR TrackR?  Another TrackR?

And why is it that my keys are always in the last place I look? (joke)