Letter from a young Homeland reader

14 Responses to “Letter from a young Homeland reader”

1. signsofrain says:

Cory I think these two books are gonna be one of your lasting legacies. Thanks for writing them.

2. binarygirl says:

Wait…so is his name Brian or Anonymous? I’m so confused!

Also, I just got back from your Tempe visit. The last part of your speech brought tears to my eyes. You’re doing a great thing and you have all my support.

3. eldritch says:

“We know things are bad – worse than bad! They’re crazy! It’s like everything everywhere is going crazy, so we don’t go out anymore! We sit in the house, and slowly the world we are living in is getting smaller, and all we say is, ‘Please, at least leave us alone in our living rooms. Let me have my toaster and my TV and my steel-belted radials and I won’t say anything. Just leave us alone.’

Well, I’m not gonna leave you alone! I want you to get MAD!

I don’t want you to protest. I don’t want you to riot – I don’t want you to write to your congressman because I wouldn’t know what to tell you to write. I don’t know what to do about the depression and the inflation and the Russians and the crime in the street. All I know is that first you’ve got to get MAD! You’ve got to say, ‘I’m a HUMAN BEING, God damn it! My life has VALUE!’.”

- Network (1976)

4. Ender Wiggin says:

i’ve never understood why you get listed as science fiction, i’d call it more social commentary from the digital edge.  i remember reading little brother the first time and recognizing that little hack to get around monitoring systems as something i’d seen before, you sprinkle search terms liberally and do it well.  Homeland was if anything even more on point.

5. mamarox says:

Go, Brian!

Just got home from Changing Hands. Cory, thank you for the talk; for making Aaron’s story so much a part of your message (even though I cried three times), and your gracious time with all of the fans. Jimmy was ecstatic about hearing you speak and meeting you; so much so that he forgot to tell you that you and Neil Gaiman are the chief reasons that he is an (published!) author. I wanted you to know that.

Thanks again…going to go immerse myself in Homeland in 3…2…1….

6. Edward Becerra says:

I’m afraid that eventually, owning or even  _reading_ this book will be considered a subversive act by the people in Washington.

• koanhead says:

Probably, and so what?
      The sort of people who will consider it a subversive act have already decided we’re all guilty anyway. When your career and livelihood depends on finding miscreants, you’ll find them.

• Two Bits says:

This is one of the things that I have wondered about at times with the trend to the cloud.   We have had laws to protect our privacy in regards to video rentals and library books for example.  Netflix for one is asking for these to be changed.  With the kindle and nook, all your purchases are stored in the cloud under your name   No means exists to buy a book anonymously. Same with the cloud music storage, and videos.   No real way to delete the record, the retailers keep them pretty much indefinitely now.  Look at how Amazon just went back to review and add all cd purchases available under the new auto mp3 program from 1999 on.   Only books that are on pirate sites or available for free downloads will have any chance of being obtained and read anonymously in ebooks.

7. MrJM says: