California bill to release the state's building codes online for free

13 Responses to “California bill to release the state's building codes online for free”

1. Robert says:

Sonny Bono. Of the Sonny Bono Copyright Act. Well, they say politics make strange bedfellows.

2. griever says:

Haha finally, after my boss at my last architecture job made a thing about buying me a pdf of the building code as a going away present when I quit :D

3. Jake0748 says:

Why is this a thing?  (I know, I know, I’m not dead).  But, ALL laws and public codes and that kind of stuff should be freely available, for FREE (because PUBLIC).  It is too bad that this has to be news.  Let us hope it catches on.  Feh!

4. Daniel Ewing says:

like.

5. MollyMaguire says:

That’s great. The International Building Code is freely available here:
    but it has limited searching and printing abilities.
    Many cities (maybe most?) make their local amendments available as free downloads.

6. Ito Kagehisa says:

In my area (mid-Atlantic coast)  products are sold at home supply centers and the like that proudly claim to be compliant with the California Building Code.  The implication is that this code is more stringent due to the famous earthquakes and attendant fires.

However, the local tradesmen claim (and this is pure hearsay, take it with a healthy dose of salt) that the California regulating authorities are entirely corrupt, and code approval is driven by bribery and/or cronyism, and that many of the “California grade” products are absolute crap.

I myself have used wall anchors for concrete block that were labeled as “California legal” that were terrible – they barely held a wooden shelf up, and only due to the load angle.  You could literally pull them out with your fingers, although I followed all instructions and used the included drill bit.

I would love to hear from some informed folks on the ground in Cali about this.  Is the code approval authority as corrupt as the school textbook approval process?  Or is that just a local legend here on the Right Coast?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Building codes here are very stringent. At least in SF and Palm Springs. I don’t particularly think that corruption is a significant issue.

• Ito Kagehisa says:

Hmm, maybe Hanlon’s Razor explains those anchors, then, or just some unscrupulous vendors making grandiose claims.  Thanks!

7.  I’m more than a bit surprised to learn that Brian Nestande is a Republican.

8. Promethean Sky says:

Coming from a family of electricians, I get to hear all about the graft, cronyism, and vested interests that are behind developing electrical codes in Michigan. You would be shocked, SHOCKED, at the petty shit that goes in because someone stands to make a dollar somewhere.