Coin rolls on treadmill for an hour

This dime rolls for a little more than 58 minutes at 3.4 miles an hour. It traveled a little over five miles in that time. Check out 38:30 when the experimenter sticks his head in frame and stick around for the analysis at the end.

Coin rolling on treadmill via burritojustice

54 Responses to “Coin rolls on treadmill for an hour”

1. Tom Suggitt says:

3.4 mph for 58 minutes and it traveled over 5 miles?????

2. Dave Mankoff says:

What causes it to accelerate? You can see it rolling both backwards and forwards (left and right – I assume right is forwards). Why would it slowly decelerate (to the left) and then suddenly accelerate (to the right). You can see it do this several times.

• awjt says:

If you scrub back and forth over the video, (just mouseover, you don’t need to click and hold the indicator thingy) you can see it oscillate forward and back the entire time of the video.  I bet it’s subtle power issues – either with the power to the motor from the power supply, or the house wiring or the power grid.

• Dave Mankoff says:

Indeed. I wonder if this is the reason it stayed rolling at all. In practice, there would be a small (possibly very small) amount of friction. If the treadmill holds a truly stead pace, you would expect the coin to slowly lose speed and fall of the end. If the treadmill speeds up occasionally, that could be just what it needs to make up the loss.

• xzzy says:

It wouldn’t roll at all without friction. Assuming you dial the speed of the treadmill in perfectly, the coin will remain stationary until some other force acts on it.

Speed oscillations and left/right drifting of the coin were probably the main “external forces” that caused it to move around.

3. awjt says:

It’s not a dime.  It’s a nickel.  He even calls it a dime.  But the thing he holds up to the lens is a Jefferson nickel.

• str1cken says:

WHERE ARE THE JOURNALISTIC STANDARDS

• dmatos says:

Even worse, he rolled the nickel around a parking lot a low speeds for almost an hour, clearly trying to run down the battery.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I can’t imagine that a dime would roll so well on those ridged edges.

• Jellodyne says:

There is a minute and 23 seconds between when the coin rolls out of frame and it is presented to us again. A lot can happen in almost a minute and a half. The coin could have been altered or even swapped. He shows you a nickel, then refers to it as a dime. Why would he call what is clearly a nickel a dime, unless something suspicious is up. The truth will out. I’m telling you, this is some sort of plot to distract our attention for an hour. What happened during the hour when you watched that video? I don’t know — I WAS WATCHING THE VIDEO.

• awjt says:

I’ve been watching it continuously since it was posted and I’m telling you, I am still stumped.  I will keep watching and check back in if I find out anything.

4. MrMonkey says:

Well there’s an hour of my life I’ll never get back.  It was almost hypnotic.

5. welcomeabored says:

I was gonna be impressed given the thinness of a dime’s edge and the ridges… until I saw it was a nickel.  Ahem.

I have a twenty year old treadmill, so I was much more impressed with the quiet smooth running of the deck, belt and motor.

EDIT: Analysis? – you jest. I’d bet a crispy Jefferson he was high.

6. bobcorrigan says:

Years from now when the barbarians are cracking our femurs open to gnaw on the marrow, they will point to this video as the beginning of the end.

7. orwell says:

watch as this fresh paint dries in under an hour…   you can almost “see,” it drying!

8. the head enters the frame at 38:51… 21 seconds of my life.. gone!

9. Preston Sturges says:

I used to roll pennies over 100 yards in a building with a terrazzo floor aiming at a sheet metal water fountain at the other end, which would go “clang” when the penny hit it.

• Donald Petersen says:

“Used to”?  I don’t believe I could ever bear leaving that job.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

How many onions did you win if you hit it?

• JohnQPublic says:

you could trade in a bushel of them for one chiken.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I’m old enough that we actually used to buy food in bushel baskets when I was a child.  Hmm.  After a little searching, it appears that clams and apples still come that way.  Maybe I’m not that old after all.

• Preston Sturges says:

“…….We can’t bust heads like we used to, but we have our ways. One trick is to tell ‘em stories that don’t go anywhere – like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on ‘em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you’d say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones…..”

10. jaybar says:

It’s a shame there’s no way to fast-forward these videos. That took an hour to watch.

11. Dean Putney says:

All factual errors intentional.

12. anansi133 says:

“It traveled a little over five miles in that time”…   I know what you’re trying to say there, but it’s not accurate to say that the coin traveled at all. It looks like the coin moved less than a meter in all that time.

Maybe say instead that the coin spun the equivalent of five miles, that would satisfy the pedants in this crowd I think.

13. Gerald Mander says:

Best. Boing Boing. Comment. Thread. Ever.

14. Mr Mallon says:

I bet his Mother is proud of him.