I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

16 Responses to “Young pro-science/anti-Creationism activist wins TroubleMaker award”

1. commodork says:

I see this guy being a future Secretary of Education or equivalent. He is definitely a trouble maker!

2. He needs to be dubbed “The Zacktivist!” Good job :)

3. Jeremy LaGant says:

This guy gives me hope for the future.  Also, I’m glad he can do this. He would be dead by now in many other parts of the world.

4. Antinous / Moderator says:

Congratulations to him.  Of the many epithets that I’ve had hurled at me in half a century, troublemaker is my favorite.

5. spacedmonkey says:

I have nothing but respect for this guy.

6. noah django says:

ah, youth.  the kid is doing the work that I’m too lazy and jaded to do myself.  as such, I give him my wholehearted support and admiration.

fighting bureaucracy is hard and tiresome.  getting a flashmob together to give a smack to his opposition is more something I can get behind–the immediacy, I guess.  ah, but I suppose that would ultimately undermine his position, no matter how richly deserving they may be.  go get ‘em, tiger!

7. lulukittie says:

I am proud that this kid attends my alma mater. Go Owls!

8. euansmith says:

I hope he blows some of those 10gs on some dames and hooch. All work and no play…

9. Michael says:

I heard some place that evem Einstein believed in God

• AnthonyC says:

Based on his own writings and that of his biographers, Einstein was more of a deist or pantheist – his conception of God was not personal or anthropomorphic.

• Renee says:

He may have believed in God, but I’m sure he didn’t believe in failing to teach science in school because of it.

10. Ned Kelly says:

Go Zack Kopplin. Maybe your peers will more readily accept words coming from a younger mouth than those of the older generation’s  Richard Dawkins.  I am hoping you also expose religion for what it is. Richard Dawkin’s books ‘The God Delusion’ and ‘The Selfish Gene’ and ‘The Magic of Reality’ all being classics.

11. Ned Kelly says:

Michael – Sorry to inform you, but Einstein did not believe in ‘God’.
    Albert Einstein is on record as saying that he did not believe in a personal God. He said: “It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.”

12. Karl Priest says:

Now Kopplin (DD#184 at http://www.lifescienceprize.org/
    has the $10 K to prove if he is all huff and bluff.

13. Dear Mr Kopplin,protect your back and run for high office.This old earth can use all the help and protection it can muster.Especially from those fanatics who couldn’t practice logic to find their way out of a paper bag.I have never figured out how anyone born with a functional brain could believe in something that cannot be proven but consider it abhorant to accept a provable scientific fact. At 71, I have learned to accept that most creationists are so inbred that the” intellegent-gene” has been lost. I have high hopes that they will become extinct before I myself kick the bucket!! But then again,I’m an optimist. Please NEVER stop thinking,acting and speaking against MORLOCKS;…YOU and those like you, are humankinds only hope. JAD