My Little Pony Applejack automata

OK, nobody tell my kid about ~renegadecow's "Applejack's Apple Harvest" My Little Pony automata. Nine days left on eBay, bids open at $200:

No pony appreciates a good days work more than Applejack. She loves the hard-earned life so much that she doesn't even look like she's working at all! Of course, not everybody is gifted with the talent for apple bucking. It's also an untold mystery as to how she can send each and every single apple into a bushel with nary a one touching the ground. But I think her ever faithful, canine companion Winona has rooted that secret out. That or she's on the lookout for bad apples.

The figures, stand, tree and bushel are carved out of Philippine mahogany while the gears and apples are made out of Narra hardwood. They're painted in enamel and protected by clear flat lacquer. Applejack stands at 5 1/8" tall (with her hat down) while the entire complete piece measures 11 3/4" high, 9 1/2" long, and 3 1/2" wide. It took 161 hours to complete.

Applejack's Apple Harvest (via Neatorama)

42 Responses to “My Little Pony Applejack automata”

1. Stefan Jones says:

That is a beautifully done little machine! The Border collie in the basement is what makes this a total win for me.

I was so pleased to see that the figures are wood.  I know how hard it is to give wood a “plastic like” finish.

2. Syn - says:

please tell me it is not so… cory, are you one of… them?

• kroeghe says:

The Unspeakable:) Maybe Cory got into the swing when he was doing his research for “Homeland”? ;)

• eldritch says:

You mean a “parent”, right? Not everyone who watches the show is a “Brony”, ya know. Some just watch it because their children watch it. Others are just normal people who happen to enjoy a lighthearted cartoon.

It’s so strange observing the whole Anti-Brony phenomenon from an external position. It’s sort of bizzare to think that some people base their opinions of others so substantially on whether or not they watch a colorful cartoon about fantasy and friendship. Yet, I’ve observed it over and over again, and I still can’t figure out what motivates such odd judgemental thinking.

• “It’s so strange observing the whole Anti-Brony phenomenon”

Although still less strange than the phenomenon itself!

What motivates judging people for their activities? I dunno, do we need motivation? It’s a pretty human characteristic. If we can tease people for being ironic, wearing Fedoras, or voting Republican, then we can certainly tease them for mild-obsession with a children’s cartoon about fucking ponies.

• Atomicpanda says:

About a fucking pony’s what? I need closure.

• PhasmaFelis says:

Nobody (well, no fellow nerds) flips their shit about grown-ass men watching Batman or Transformers cartoons. I’ve yet to see an argument against MLP that doesn’t boil down to “it’s for *girls*” (sexist much?) or “it’s for *kids*” (I’m sorry, is that Optimus Prime on your desk?)

Edit: It’s worth distinguishing between “your interest is kinda silly” and “your interest is disgusting and morally repulsive and probably means you’re a pedophile.” Lots of odd nerd habits get the first one, but MLP gets the second for no really good reason.

• I don’t think anyone takes issue with the mere activity of watching My Little Pony, and yea, to be honest, I’d also think it weird for a group of grown men to role play exclusively as transformers and hang out on transformer forums and watch transformers regularly – and I like transformers, they’re fucking awesome.

That doesn’t mean Brony’s should stop being Brony’s, on the contrary, Brony away – if it makes you happy then Brone to your hearts content. But that doesn’t mean that the masses aren’t allowed to think it’s weird – ’cause let’s face it, it’s a bit weird.

• kroeghe says:

I think we should get together and try to see past our differences, and instead focus on what we share, what we have in common:
            Hasbro owns us. Totally.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Are you having an apo’strophic ‘seizure?

• There really are a lot of them in that comment aren’t there?

Maybe I shouldn’t have treated Brony as a proper noun.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Proper nouns don’t take apostrophes when pluralized.

• Jesus I need some rest.

3. shimrod says:

cue C&D from Hasbro in 3…2….

• JProffitt71 says:

Nah, they’re actually pretty cool with fan creations. So long as it doesn’t approach the level of attention of an official product (Fighting is Magic), they’ll leave it be and enjoy the free community.

4. Boundegar says:

$200 for something that took 161 hours to make?  Is this the new economy?

5. AllyPally says:

Is there only one of it? Then it’s an automaton. Singular.

6. Ruley says:

The presence of that orange pony figurine fills me with rage.

7. Nash Rambler says:

You know, I haven’t really watched My Little Pony, but this thing is pretty fun and cute.  Very cleverly done.  I found myself carefully watching the video to see how those apples slid neatly into the basket, instead of disappearing behind it.  $200 does sound a bit low for a handcrafted piece; if it was a generic horse wearing a cowboy hat, I could see this thing going for $500 at a high-end craft fair.

8. Am I the only one that’s noticed that it’s horribly out of sync? Also the lack of animation principles (in this case it’s sorely lacking any anticipation and ease) – it’s VERY nicely crafted and a beautiful item – I love this kind of thing, but the perfectionist in me would chuck it across the room within a minute.

• Nash Rambler says:

I get what you are saying, but I feel like the separate elements work together well, and it’s still pretty impressive for the hand-cranked wooden gears.  How could you get it to consistently sync every time, and not risk the mechanism jamming up or the string of apples breaking shortly after purchase?  I’m not being accusatory, I just thought up a couple of different solutions and each of them didn’t work in the long term.

• Now that’s a question I can’t answer – but it’s of course possible, maybe just too much effort and requiring precision that’s not practical for such an item.

It was more the reason I couldn’t own it though – I appreciate the effort that’s gone into it, and it’s still a lovely item.

9. otterhead says:

This sculptor’s past works have gone for much more; I expect this one to sell for at least $1000, minimum. It goes for that kind of price because it’s an intricately-carved brilliant piece of art. That’s why it’s for sale, and why it’s on BoingBoing. Why would you assume that the only people who can appreciate a piece like this are ‘perverts’? That says a lot about where your brain is at.

10.  because its a wonderful thing :P

11. kroeghe says:

I think it’s a really beautiful piece of craft, with a very ingenious and funny design. All the work the maker put into this creation, all their skill should be appreciated – no matter the, um, current fandom affiliation of the viewer. I’d love to have a toy like that, and I’d treat it like a real treasure – and hope that some day it’d become part of the legacy of crazy uncle Kroeghe. And I know it won’t, because those hand crafted toys can get crazy expensive – one thousand is probably a good estimate of the final bid.
    I think Yawn’s just trolling, though (2/10 – below average troll, would not froth, nor spasm).

12. Boundegar says:

Speaking for pervert adult men everywhere, I think it is plainly obvious that My Little Pony does not condone or promote any kind of perversion.  BoingBoing has reviewed some interesting pervert toys over the years, but I don’t see how, to even the most twisted imagination, this could possibly be one of them.  Maybe it has uses even I am not perverted enough to imagine.  That would be impressive.