What it feels like to submit a manuscript

29 Responses to “What it feels like to submit a manuscript”

1. Nadreck says:

Edward Gorey’s “The Unstrung Harp” nails it the authoring game pretty well too!

2. Thinking one of my favorite authors reads another of my favorite authors is soooooo cool. Cory if you read these, do you actually read Brust’s Vlad/Khaavren series?  And if you do well I might as well ask if you also read Neal Stephenson.

3. Art says:

When I don’t hear back from an editor for an hour,  I say, “no news is good news”

Over a day, “Maybe they’re busy”.  Over a week, “well ain’t that rude?”.

A month?  I should follow up with an actual phone call.

(Note to self:  Be nice, Art.  Maybe they didn’t receive it.

4. peregrinus says:

It’s so easy to send a ‘got it, thanks’ message.  This is obviously some jealous torture game practiced by editors.

I wonder how I’d cope – I’d pursue them until they acknowledged they had it, otherwise I’d be sure they didn’t.  I’d be frightfully boring to them.

• Joe Vanegas says:

With online submission systems, the publisher’s computer generates the “got it, thanks” email almost immediately. It is surprisingly satisfying despite the lack of human interaction.

5. otterhead says:

Whenever I send in work for review and don’t hear back for a few hours, I just picture the client/editor reeling back in their chair, stunned and amazed, unable to type or, much less, communicate their joy at the finished product, and figure they just have to regain the power of speech before they can reply.

6. welcomeabored says:

Just replace that first part with the word ‘e-mail’ to a friend/spouse/lover.  ‘I’ve been sitting here for two hours composing this letter, and they don’t have the good grace to be sitting there waiting for it?  Are they too BUSY?!  Why am I providing any evidence that I’m thinking of them, when they’re clearly not thinking me.  Don’t I mean **anything** to them?  Well, fuck ‘em.  If they don’t care, I don care either.  {delete}

7. Christopher says:

“What I really want, Doctor, is this. On the day when the manuscript reaches the publisher, I want him to stand up–after he’s read it, of course–and say to his staff, ‘Gentlemen, hats off!’”
    -Albert Camus, The Plague

8. Kevin Pierce says:

That’s how I feel when my phone is spacing out on me:   What in the world could you be doing that is more important than me?

9. eastblock says:

Almost like waiting to see if Boing Boing will pick up a link you submitted…… ;-)

10. “Has someone died? If so, I’d think you could at least drop me a note explaining the delay.”

I’m doing an extended stint as a stay-at-home dad, and this reminds me of office life.  “Did you get the email I sent earlier?  I need your response on that right away.”  And if the person is your superior, you clamp down on your frustration as they stand there waiting for your response, so you stop what you’re doing, check your email, and respond to the email they clearly sent, then immediately stood up, walked to your desk, and proceeded to interrogate you on why you hadn’t answered their email yet…

I took Merlin Mann’s advice on 43 Folders years ago, and set my mail client to check mail every 30 minutes.  Sometimes I wonder if I screwed myself out of a couple of raises by not constantly, obsessively checking my email…

11. awjt says:

Sounds a lot like internet dating:  “Why didn’t she write me back yet, dammit?”  And it’s been, like, 15 minutes.

12. ldobe says:

Sounds a lot like submitting job applications online.

It seems like an automated response would be the most basic and rudimentary courtesy, but I’d say over half the time I submit an application, I never hear back.

That’s what’s most discouraging and dehumanizing about looking for a job. The brick and mortar places tell you to apply online, and when you do, there’s no acknowledgment that they even got the app.