Profane commit-messages from GitHub

12 Responses to “Profane commit-messages from GitHub”

1. fnc says:

I recall a three week period near the end of a sustained end-of-project crunch when I wrote all of my submit messages in the form of haikus.  Can’t remember any, as that whole period is hazy in my mind.

• dragonfrog says:

I had a colleague in a university lab who, when it was his turn to take meeting minutes, wrote them entirely in haiku.  After that, he somehow never got asked to to take the minutes again.

2. SamSam says:

Now I want someone to write a script that cross-references the profanity with what language the commit was written in (initial glance shows an awful lot of Ruby) and frameworks, etc.

If we get over-representation of any languages or frameworks, we can all know to stop writing new projects with them, either because the langage is a pain in the ass or because all your potential collaborators are borderline psychopaths.

3. Heevee Lister says:

I hate to sound like the resident curmudgeon – and I’m no bluenose – but the comments I remember running across in source from the 1980s and 1990s were a lot more amusing and a lot less scatological.  Even the (in)famous comments in the leaked Win2k source a decade or so ago were more amusing than this barrage of 6th grade profanity.  Yuck.

• retepslluerb says:

I’ll take the role of the resident curmudgeon.  I *hate* commits like this. Comments, too.

I don’t expect treatises, but please: Is it too much to ask for a clear, concise and fact-checked info about what was in this commit? And why?

Some people actually use the history for work.

• This stuff is ephemeral though – it’s gone and forgotten in the next commit. It’s a demonstration of frustration, rather than scripted humour, which is what you see in source code comments (which probably often consume more effort than the code they’re commenting on).

• Jerril says:

;TL,DR: You’re complaining that a script that looks for scatological comments is looking for for scatological comments.

You’re looking at the results of a dumb script. The dumb script can’t judge humour, and writing a smart script that can would be a nobel-prize wining accomplishment not to be wasted on scraping Git for funny commit comments.

It’s way the hell easier to write a script that scrapes for comments that contain a list of words… and frankly I run out of ideas for “universally funny words” shortly after “rutabega” so you might as well scrape for coders who have gone completely insane at 2 AM.

4. Sigmund_Jung says:

The best part is that now I don’t feel totally useless when dealing with code problems — I can see many people feel the same way!