At the Embroidery Trouble Shooting Guide, HTML "heading" tags accumulate unclosed, thereby making the text grow inexorably in size until the greatest website in the world is achieved. [Sewing and Embroidery Warehouse. Hat via: Joel. (Backup)]

33 Responses to “Embroidery Trouble Shooting Guide”

1. kansas says:

Fantastic.
    I Needed That.
    THANKS.

2. Jemmy says:

Very dramatic crescendo. By the time I got to “Using Tape for loose ends” my heart was pounding.

• ZikZak says:

The increasing font size is one thing, but combine it with the distressing language of problems, failures and dangers…I imagine a textiles apprentice having a panic attack.

3. silkox says:

If a problem persists, we recommend that you contact
    Sewing and Embroidery Warehouse

4. rob_cornelius says:

what the hell wysiwyg editor did they create this in that lets you get away with this and doesn’t render it properly?

5. blueelm says:

OMG my down arrow had been waiting for this for its entire life.

6. SamSam says:

Hah, I don’t know why that made me giggle so much. Tracing around that “P” starting the final line with my touchpad to work out what letter it was was more fun than it should have been.

7. Happler says:

Thank you!  It will drive my wife nuts.

8. destroy_all_humans says:

it takes 2 days to scroll past a “T” near the bottom

9. Boundegar says:

Holy hell, I looked at that site while listening to the phase-shifted Beatles.

10. wygit says:

OK, I’m feeling like a total idiot here… I can’t duplicate it.
    I mean, I can copy/paste their code and see it, but if I try:

<h3> line 1
    <h3> line 2
    <h3> line 3
    <h3> line 4
    <h3> line 5

It doesn’t work. I’ve tried the table structure, linebreaks, the doctype. I KNOW I’m missing something really silly, it’s just been awhile since I’ve done any html.

Can someone ease my pain?
    (The first time I tried posting, BB’s site added the closing tags – heh)

• redesigned says:

make sure to use the right doctype:
      <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN”>

and combine the lack of closing h3 tags with the magical also unclosed and repeated tag of:
      <width=”25%” align=”left”>

it isn’t the h3 tag causing this, it is the width tag propagating, closing h3 tags would have prevented this.

• wygit says:

thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

It’s greatly appreciated. I can stop farking with it now.

I tried it with my standard “XHTML 1.0 Strict” doctype and it still works.
        I wonder why the width tag does that?

• redesigned says:

no problem! :-)  that sort of thing drives me mad too, lol.
          more then happy to help!

excellent question and to be honest I’m not entirely sure.  intuitively I’d think it’d make it 75% smaller each time, but nope.

• redesigned says:

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC “-//W3C//DTD HTML 3.2//EN”>
      <html><body>
      <h3><width=”25%” align=”left”>Test 1
      <h3><width=”25%” align=”left”>Test 2
      <h3><width=”25%” align=”left”>Test 3
      <h3><width=”25%” align=”left”>Test 4
      </body></html>

• rausantaella says:

Have you tried adding the CSS line? The h3 { font-size:1.17em }?

11. Erik Englund says:

Embroidery really is all about the Process.

12. Igpajo says:

What’s wierd is it looks fine on my android phone.  I see it happen on my desktop computers using chrome, ie, firefox or safari, but using my android phone’s default web browser or Dolphin’s browser all the text is the same size.  Not sure how that happens but perhaps the person doing the coding only proofed it on a mobile device.

13. yadayada says:

Just for kicks, in Firefox open Web Developer->Inspect and click on “3D view”.

14. John Small says:

someone please animate this and set it to the opening music from Star Wars.

15. huskerdont says:

Being an editore, it took me a bit to get past the headline, which at first made me think that it was a shooting guide by some group called “Embroidery Trouble.”

16. cheem says:

They haven’t styled h3, so it takes on the browser default styling. In the case of Chrome, h3 is 117% the size of the containing element. So, when you nest tags like this, it gets bigger and bigger.. I assume the same thing happens in Firefox. But if IE styles h3 as having an actual fixed size (like, say, 18 pixels), then it would look alright.

• redesigned says:

actually, ran some tests…just leaving the h3 tags open doesn’t work.  you need the magical width tag they also don’t close in order to get this effect.  see my reply above.

17. Megan Squire says:

First legitimate belly laugh of the day. LOVED IT

18. Lynn Dooley says:

Okay that was seriously funny.  I just kept scrolling waiting for when one letter would take up the whole screen!

19. I tried to turn it into an image with Paparazzi, but it crashed… any clues on how to visualize this at once?

Edit: i learned that zoom.it accepts webpages, but it rendered it correctly: http://zoom.it/f0vJ :(