Invisibility Cloak demoed at TED2013

27 Responses to “Invisibility Cloak demoed at TED2013”

1. liquidself says:

I’m not sure what I’m looking at; but I’m stealing it.

2. gadfly says:

A million fucking dollars.

3. I bet it wouldn’t work if the background was something else than vertical stripes…

4. Gerald Mander says:

The dropbox link has been disabled due to heavy traffic. Wahhh.

5. David Pescovitz says:

Ladies and gentlemen, bOING bOING co-founder and longtime editrix-in-chief, Ms. Carla Sinclair! If you don’t know, now you know.

6. Kimmo says:

Dropbox for a vid?

What’s wrong with Youtube? Not like I can’t grab my own copy from there.

7. ldobe says:

From what I understand, these calcite crystals are doing the same thing as a fibreoptic cable.  Like a real life version of the photoshop heal tool right?  Substitutes light from one spot in another, so it looks like nothing’s there?

8. yadayada says:

The link in the story has been boingboinged:

Error (509)This account’s public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!

9. Sceadugenga says:

There’s a freely-accessible paper from the same team here:

10. After searching for severel minutes I didn’t find the video! Rookie…

11. Art says:

Saw the vid on your link a few hours ago.  Astonishing!  Purely optical.

I hope that Mr. Zhang can take this to a higher level.

12. SamSam says:

So does it work from all angles? I might have guessed that the crystalline structure might be similar to, say, fiber optics, which would carry light from the front to the back but not from side-to-side.

13. Nash Rambler says:

Wow.  The military is going to be more excited about this than when that professor from Medfield College flew a Model T around the congressional dome.

14. sparky3489 says:

YAY for 2nd grade science!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

15. Imagine someone from the Pentagon watching this. Suddenly they’d try to think of StarCraft-esque detector technology.