I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

32 Responses to “Real Genius in the style of M. Night Shyamalan”

1. bcsizemo says:

This would be his best work ever.

2. skabob says:

It’s pretty scary when Uncle Rico comes out of the closet.  LOOKS AWESOME.

3. allium says:

I would watch the hell out of that, which would take some doing since I’ve already watched the hell out of the actual movie. Maybe it would involve growing another pair of eyeballs. Pass the nanites!

4. Holy shit. That was very well done!

5. “Liberate”? You mean… “Liquidate”?
    BWAAAAAAMP
    BWAAAAAAMP
    BWAAAAAAMP

6. Amstrad00 says:

This is absolutely perfect.

7. nuschu says:

Never forget to check your references!

8. BunnyShank says:

I love these because they show how sound design and editing have the most influence regardless of what the writer intended.

9. Kimmo says:

Watched this not that long ago…

I wanna see that version.

10. HubrisSonic says:

I dub this, awesome.

11. Halloween_Jack says:

Not bad, although of course Real Genius is perfect as is and if MNS ever got anywhere near it… well, orbital death lasers would be the least of his problems. Believe me.

Although, I always did wonder what Laszlo invented that killed people…

12. You know what I like about M. Night Shyamalan, is that he got enormous bunches of shit about a bunch of his movies, but he ignored it every time, and just kept on making them. This isn’t always a good thing, but in his case I think it will bear fruit. I have mostly liked his stuff, none of it was Ben Hur material, but I feel at some point he will have something to blow us away, or at least I hope so, if I was to characterise my like of his stuff is that I see where he is going with this.

If I made movies I would certainly play it like this, I dislike the mindless slaughter, I feel proper fear is not achieved by cutting up or killing people, but by scaring them, I one day hope to make a scary movie, it will be called Goatman, and you will be scared.

• Christopher says:

Quit teasing us and make the damn movie. I can’t contribute much, but I’m willing to offer some money to help it get made, and I hear all the kids these days are into this “crowdfunding” thing.

P.S. You had me at “I dislike the mindless slaughter”.

13. The last efect, the big blast WOW :))

14. And this is why I always ignore trailers – it’s all just out-of-context editing.

This was awesomely done though!

15. Ramone says:

Huh. It’s been a while since I’ve seen “genius” and “Shyamalan” in a headline together.

16. The Doctor says:

This could have been a trailer for The Invisibles…

17. karl_jones says:

The Sixth Sense is a timeless masterpiece.

I wish that guy would make another film.

18. Gbaji says:

“I see smart people.”

19. vonbobo says:

You’ll rue the day! (missed opportunity!)

Nice edit, looked like a fun project.

20. KevinRaposo says:

This just goes to show that you make any movie look a lot better than it originally is. Now i’m not saying that this movie isn’t good, just trying to prove my point.

21. I wonder if, on some level, part of why this works so well is that the original Real Genius is a very funny film, yes, but it’s about a subject that is every bit as creepy as anything M. Night Whateverhisnameis has ever addressed, namely the really deeply incestuous relationship between our top scientific research colleges and the military-industrial complex. Take Val “Chris Knight” Kilmer’s quips out of the movie and take the popcorn out of the ending, and you’ve made all the changes you need to make to turn Real Genius into a cold-war psychological horror thriller.

• I’m struck by how unlikely it is that this film would be made at all these days. You mean there was a time when people would have had moral considerations about air-based weapons for secret, targeted assassinations? Shit, we give people medals for using those weapons now.

• CastanhasDoPara says:

“Waiting on the remake with Ryan Reynolds replacing Val Kilmer, and everyone rallying against time to build that new drone to kill all the bad people.”

No. Do not want. Please, please, please nobody ever…ever… ever do what has been suggested here.

22. rtresco says:

August 1985 can’t get here fast enough!