7 Responses to “Scientific American in the late 1800s: eating horse flesh is good for the economy”

1. But isn’t the argument about whether the horse meat is prepared to the standards required for human consumption? Other than that, its just meat.

• Xeni Jardin says:

I think it’s fair to say that the current outrage is a fusion of “this is not safe,” and “the supplier lied about what kind of meat it was,” amplified many times because “OMG yuck, eating horses.”

• ldobe says:

Maybe it’s just me, but I’d happily eat horse.  I’ve been curious, and I don’t really know of anyplace nearby that serves it, nor do I know of any butcher shops that claim to have it.

2. orwell says:

i think the uproar is in the “not knowing,” rather than the horse meat itself…

while living in china, i had the opportunity to eat horse and dog on several occasions.  i had both prepared various ways and it was always delicious.  (cold dog tasted like roast beef to me).  i also enjoyed rabbit head, goose tongue, duck neck, chicken feet, pig ear, drunk shirmp, camel kabobs, and many other amazing and delicious items.  i was never once “sick,” from anything i ate and was more often than naught, amazed at how delicious and well-prepared the items were, regardless of what stigma one might attach to such items in the west.

3. mjd says:

It’s the economy, stupid. This is all a part of the “Chained CPI” conspiracy. If you can afford to eat horse, you’re no worse off than someone who can afford steak. If you can afford to eat dog, you’re no worse off than someone who can afford horse. If you can afford to eat rat…

4. AllyPally says:

I don’t have a problem with eating horse meat. Good flavour, texture a little coarser than beef.

I do have a problem with eating dodgy unspecified meat from an unknown animal in an unknown state of health.

I’m off to the local butcher, who either knows the name of the animal, or at least the name of the farmer who grew it.

5. benher says:

I just ponied up for raw horse again last week – it was delicious.

The day that American (and its cultural ab-norms) becomes the arbiter of what a healthy diet is for the rest of the world will be a sad day indeed.