Video of "invisibility cloak" at TED

22 Responses to “Video of "invisibility cloak" at TED”

1. Brainspore says:

The video was hosted by Dropbox, which killed the link (too much traffic).

The video is still there, we just can’t see it.

2. awjt says:

OK, does the invisibility cloak only work on the bottom 5% of the sandwiched crystals?  Does it require the stripey background?  Does it require a certain surface to rest on?

• rrh says:

I’m going to bet that yes, it requires the stripey background. Otherwise, what’s the first thing you’d do to demonstrate something’s invisible? You wave your hand (or tweezers) behind it.

• robuluz says:

That’s going to impede tactical deployment a little. The 20 mile wide, 4 mile high stripy backdrop will be a tip off, but once they roll in the 2 mile high prism and then stand around whistling casually, the enemy will start to get suspicious.

3. I want a little periscope like that!

4. Roger Mercer says:

And suddenly it’s not so magical. Looks like it wouldn’t work without the vertically homogenous background.

5. Looks like Lubor’s Lens. Magicians have had this technology for a while now.

6. secretdoubleagent says:

Yay!  I personally can’t think of a single practical use for an invisibility cube that isn’t somewhere on the high jinks–trouble-making–law breaking–other unsocial behaviors spectrum.  Also, of course, military stuff.  But that might say more about me than invisibility cubes.

7. Aaron Swain says:

The big question is: can you still fire phasers and photon torpedoes while using it?

8. theSamLowry says:

This video is very unconvincing.

9. Rhyolite says:

This is photographed from one direction…how well does it work if you are off of the intended axis?

10. danegeld says:

yeah, this works only on one direction, the background image is offset and the vertical stripes are needed to hide that fact. There are 360˚ invisibility metamaterials that work in the microwave regime, but you need materials with n < 0 to get it to work

11. JohnQPublic says:

maybe these will work for tiny drones

12. Gasface says:

I hold the patent for making things invisible from only certain angles, when can I sue?

13. MrQuagmire says:

What is this, an invisibility cloak for ants?

14. Blue Ninja says:

So I told my Mom about this the other day (she’s in her 60′s). I said, “They’ve invented an invisibility cloak.” She asked, “Who did?” I said, “Scientists.” And she asked in all seriousness, “Are they Romulans?”

I love my Mom.

15. brainflakes says:

That’s not an invisibility cloak, that’s just a piece of perspex! All it’s doing is reflecting the vertical bars due to total internal reflection, it’s the “invisibility” equivalent of placing that orange strip under a slightly angled mirror.