A Single Shot: creepy backwoods crime suspense novel

15 Responses to “A Single Shot: creepy backwoods crime suspense novel”

1. Margaret says:

It’s scary to me that someone can’t sit still and think for 15 minutes without needing a distraction.  Deep thought is meditative and restorative, at least for me.

• Mark_Frauenfelder says:

When I go for a walk or sit in the sun, I can space out for a long time. But airplanes are a different story for me – I guess I’m a bit nervous. I’m happy for you that you can sit still and quietly on a plane.

• Jim Saul says:

I’m not classically claustrophobic, but I sure as hell am on a plane while it’s on the ground. Especially if they don’t have the air on. So I completely agree with the balm a great novel provides.

And total flow experience, to the point of lost time? What a fantastic compliment to the work. The most recent experience I had with that was finally reading Old Man’s War… spent triple my intended exercise time while reading it, then hobbled around with aching knees that afternoon getting everything else Scalzi’s written.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

These days, if you were sitting quietly on the plane with your eyes closed, you might be flagged for abnormal behavior and dragged off to interrogation.

• pjcamp says:

Perhaps some Adderall would be in order (for Cory, not you).

2. A. . says:

Mark, I love your distinction between the author and the work– in many cases, to be a writer aware of morality means to splice the fibre of insanity and jurisprudence.  It means to cut, but not deeply; to show horror, but not *be* horror.

3. Terry Carroll says:

I came on to compliment you on losing an hour from boarding through flight because you were absorbed in a great story. I’m not sorry that you can’t go 15 minutes without distraction. Context is everything. And 15 minutes in an aeronautic tube filled with people of various personal issues is not quality time. An hour getting lost in text that feels like life is.

4. sockdoll says:

Thanks Mark, I don’t think that I’d even heard of the Mulholland Books imprint before now. They’ve got some great looking stuff on their web site.

5. Barry Stock says:

I too was disturbed by the confession of not being able to spend 15 minutes without a distraction. This poses a question which leads to others:

There are thoughts. There is you. (“my thoughts”)

Who are you?

Sitting quietly (more formally “meditation”) actually acts as a kind of sieve, where consciousness (you) is gradually separated from thoughts. Thoughts are a kind of “stuff” in the internal world, as are feelings, and all kinds of sensations. All things that are experienced are “stuff”, and temporal, finite.It’s worth experiencing that separation, as it can be a place to retreat when there are no other choices “shit…I forgot my BOOK!”

Best Wishes.

6. I didn’t get to see it, but the film adaptation came out at Sundance this year, stars Sam Rockwell, supposed to be good