Armory Arts Week Edition Featured Artist: Amy Crehore

12 Responses to “Armory Arts Week Edition Featured Artist: Amy Crehore”

1. smonkey says:

Amy is a wonderful artist and I love the playfulness of her work.

Bt t vn qt t wth th mnd blwng ffcts of pcs lke “Nd Dscndng Strcs” n 1913 s s slly s t b bsrd.

The lovely ms. Crehore deserves the attention she gets.

(self disemvowelment, or sevvuku if you will)

2. liz says:

Playfully drawing nude teenagers…I guess exploiting women doesn’t get as much attention anymore.  If that young gal had clothing on, would it appear on Boing Boing?  Ohhh, but I’m such a prude, that’s just supposed to be cute!  Yah, right.  Just keep staring…

• Antinous / Moderator says:

You know that most of the museums in the world are full of representations of naked youth?

3. dragonflye says:

Yeah, I too am wondering why they opted to feature this artist.

When does it become inappropriate to post “art” of naked girls?

• Felton / Moderator says:

Yeah, I too am wondering why they opted to feature this artist.

Do you mean ArtSlant or Boing Boing?  Amy Crehore is a friend of BB, and has been featured here many times.

• dragonflye says:

I scrolled through Amy’s portfolio and can see that yes, she is a very gifted artist. And there are a number of paintings that are very sweet and wistful.
        But I’m curious, if these were the works of a 40/50-something year old man who specialized in painting pictures of naked teenage girls lounging around, or of girls with their bathing suits sort of slipping off, would people still think it okay because it’s “art”?

• marilove says:

OH NO! CARTOON BOOBIES!!!!

4. Paul Downs says:

A drawing like that could get you arrested in the UK (or indeed the US if it was in a comic).

5. Tom says:

It’s turtles all the way down.

6. marilove says:

Well, I love these. They are innocent and free and the turtle is cute. Jeez, people. Stop being creepy.