Weekly Wipe: Charlie Brooker shreds TV

I somehow missed the fact that Charlie "Black Mirror" Brooker's brilliant, sweary, hilarious show Weekly Wipe had returned for a third season. It's the latest iteration of several different Brooker projects in which he sits on his sofa and shouts at his TV in the most amazingly entertaining way. Huge whacks of it are on YouTube, and every episode is pure glod (and oh, God, the bits where he reads awful online comments about bad TV moments aloud!).

Weekly Wipe

24 Responses to “Weekly Wipe: Charlie Brooker shreds TV”

1. showme says:

Man, do I love me some pure glod. It’s much better than sliver.

• Harish Alagappa says:

“Bad spelling can be lethal. For example, the greedy Seriph of Al-Ybi was once cursed by a badly-educated deity and for some days everything he touched turned to Glod, which happened to be the name of a small dwarf from a mountain community hundreds of miles away who found himself magically dragged to the kingdom and relentlessly duplicated”

2. Oh Man we gotta make one of these over here.

• Christopher says:

As much as I like the idea I see three potential problems:

1) Advertisers would hate it.

2) The host would be overwhelmed by a superabundance of material.

3) We Americans have already produced our own watered-down, dumbed-down, and generally unfunny version of the same thing. It’s called “Tosh 2.0″.

• SomeGuyNamedMark says:

The English are masters of smart comedic sarcasm.  Americans are afraid of offending someone and have to dumb it down too.

3. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

A mother lode of English snarkiness!  So much wonderful sarcasm.

4. JontKopeck says:

The trouble with this show is that it sometimes makes you witness to things that you would otherwise have more wisely avoided. A cursory glance at print and online media gives you an idea of the vulgar way in which human beings are made to be spectacles, we don’t need to see it in all it’s harrowing detail to realise this. I speak of course of the Harlem Shake.

• Bradley Robinson says:

Aye.

I had avoided it entirely until watching this.  While I feel a great sense of validation by finally witnessing the immense stupidity of it, I do feel as my brain just formed a neural pathway I would have rather it didn’t.

5. Cory’s so lucky living in the Blogosphere, over here in England we’re still on Season 1 of Weekly Wipe

• NelC says:

The previous series had titles that were variations on the “Wipe” theme: Screen Wipe and News Wipe.

• TrevorSweet says:

And therefore ?

• NelC says:

And therefore this is season three of Brooker’s Wipe series, as Cory (almost) said.

• SantaClaus says:

Your smugness is especially funny considering Screenwipe was on the air for five seasons, Newswipe for two and now Weekly Wipe for one. If you wanted to consider them all part of the same thing this would be the eighth season of Charlie Brooker’s “wipe” series. You fail on both counts! The only way your count would work is if you counted each wipe series as one season, which still doesn’t make sense whether you look at it from a British or American perspective.

Edit: Even if there’s some weird Briticism where a season can refer to one show in a connected group of shows, Cory’s language still doesn’t make sense. It wouldn’t be season 3 of Weekly Wipe, it would be season 3 of Charlie Brooker’s wipe series.

• NelC says:

I take the point about mis-counting; looks like I missed more of the previous series than I thought. But I have to cavil at the accusation of smugness. I think you’re reading more than was actually written.

6. Nick Bernal says:

I was hoping he’d have a shard of glass against his neck this season.

7. Supernumerary says:

I already mainlined all of Black Mirror last week, courtesy BoingBoing’s rec. If you could please stop facilitating my burgeoning love affair with Charlie Brooker, that’d be great.

8. Kimmo says:

As much as I enjoy Brooker’s painstakingly constructed and brutal sarcasm (the best of it is like some sort of Rube Goldberg machine that eventually delivers a kick in the nuts with a steelcapped boot), I’m afraid I find him preaching to the converted…

I don’t need his finely-crafted observations to inform me of the pathetic depths to which many of my fellow humans have sunk; I have a rough idea already and and quite frankly that fuzzy picture is more than enough without being brought into gruesome focus.

In fact, it occurs to me that this scenario hints at an inherent contradiction at the heart of Screen Wipe: anybody who can appreciate how dismal these dire offerings are very likely already despises such filth, and is apt to be more depressed than entertained by Brooker marching these vacuous zombies before their eyes, barely relieved at all by his heroic post-apocalyptic sniping slaughter of them.

Having said that, of course it’s all worth it if this show can make a single matrix-dwelling automaton wake the fuck up and stop pouring rancid swill into their mind.

9. McGreens says:

The BBC did a lousy job of advertising this, as I didn’t realise it was on until a friend mentioned it around the fourth episode. The rest of the series isn’t on iPlayer either, so, um, torrents may have been involved.

A great watch as always.