Ant wars: Battle of the invasive species

17 Responses to “Ant wars: Battle of the invasive species”

1. It’s when they start building these that we really need to start worrying.

2. franko says:

well, shit.

3. PhosPhorious says:

40 quatloos on the Asian needle ant.

4. Aaron Geiger says:

What about the fire ants (RIFA)? Those little bastards inject solenopsin, which put me into anaphylactic shock when I was first stung at the age of six. They are so invasive and effective that a colony will wipe out lizards, birds, and other insects in a radius around their nest. They tend to swarm first and sting in unison. I’ve also seen them form into floating balls or masses to escape rising waters. My father would dump a gallon of gas on the nests, let it soak in, and set it aflame just to get the ant numbers down quickly.

• pjcamp says:

Yeah, we’ve been dealing with stinging ants down south since before the Dust Bowl. I’ve done the Southern Fire Ant Dance on many occasions, and then doused my legs with Raid.

5. tomrigid says:

Time to roll out the pangolin.

6. extra88 says:

Dr. Spicer Rice was interviewed about this a few weeks ago on CBC’s Quirks & Quarks. Battle of the Invasive Ants

7. GawainLavers says:

It’s their world, we just live in it.

The thing I don’t quite understand about the Argentines is that supposedly a key part of their rise in North America is due to their ability to build super-colonies (actually, my father says there are two, and that the border is somewhere in San Diego or something where there are piles of ant corpses marking their constant warfare). The supercolonies arise because the queens from neighboring colonies are so genetically close that workers don’t recognize one another as rivals.

So naively, it seems to me a mitigation for the Argentines would be to import a large number of distinct queens, get them started, and then see if once they can no longer super-colony (a verb now) the natives have a better chance of competing.

8. Felton / Moderator says:

What the article doesn’t say is that these ants are between 4 and 8 feet long.

9. Ian Wood says:

Aim for the nerve stem.

10. 1x10E15 ants enter–1X10E9 ANTS LEAVE!

11. dejoh says:

When I painted billboards around Crystal River Fla., my helper stepped on a red ant hill.  As the ants covered him, he stripped naked while I poured mineral spirits all over him.  All this in front of drivers going by along the interstate.
    To this day, I say better him than me.

12. Camp Freddie says:

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords