Carrie Fisher reportedly confirms reprise of Princess Leia

46 Responses to “Carrie Fisher reportedly confirms reprise of Princess Leia”

1. I see a difference between “Yes I can confirm whether I’ll reprise the role of princess Leia” and “Yes I confirm that I’ll reprise the role of princess Leia”, but maybe I’m wrong.

• David Pescovitz says:

Well, the reporter reportedly asked whether “you’ll” (you will) as opposed to “you’d” (you would).

• Ronald Simmons says:

Not quite the same. He asked, “Can you confirm whether [or not] you’ll reprise the role of Princess Leia?” The answer is ambiguous and just says “Yes [I can confirm whether or not I will return as Leia].” The reporter should have followed it up with, “Will you be?” I know it seems finicky, but it is ambiguous and it is the reporter’s job to remove that. I argue the reporter missed their mark by not asking a direct question and missed again by not asking a natural follow-up.

• Jared Forshey says:

For sure; I recently read an interview with Robert Khoo from Penny-Arcade where the interviewer points out the great pains he must take when asking Robert questions because he loves to take advantage of ambiguous statements like this and give dodgy answers that are factually correct but might not mean what you assume. I love it!

• Lemoutan says:

I don’t think her answer is at all ambiguous.

• the_steve says:

Was going to say the same thing.
      She answered the question that was asked, but the question that was asked was not “Will you be reprising your role as Princess Leia?”

• Bangorian says:

Keeping in mind, of course, that Ms. Fisher is currently hospitalized following a ‘bipolar episode’ on a cruise ship.  May add a whole new angle to the princess:

• Heevee Lister says:

Interesting.  “This video clip is no longer available due to a copyright claim by Carrie Fisher.”  DMCA, the ultimate answer to life’s embarrassing moments.

• nettdata says:

As opposed to just showing some respect for someone going through a hard time and not plastering it all over the internet and “entertainment news” shows.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Ms. Fisher has mostly made her living by writing about her own mental health issues.  That ship sailed years ago and she’s the one who smashed the champagne bottle when it launched.

• robuluz says:

Now that is a stunning coincidence!

• tubacat says:

So being honest about being mentally ill means you can’t keep anything private?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

No, but what happens in Vegas doesn’t actually stay in Vegas. Your right to privacy is compromised when you go out in public. I think that the world would be a pleasanter place if news hadn’t been redefined to mostly mean gossip, but there’s not much that you can do about it. And she has clearly made her psychological issues public.

• tubacat says:

And I admire her for going public about her psychological issues/illness. I just don’t think that means that she has to share every manic episode with the world at large. I certainly am glad that I haven’t had to do so.

2. Brainspore says:

Palm Beach Illustrated does sound like the kind of magazine that would showcase photos of retirees in skimpy gold space-bikinis.

3. John Verne says:

I can confirm that she can confirm whether or not she’ll reprise the role.

4. BookGuy says:

Didn’t her publicist explicitly say, not so long ago, to ignore anything Carrie said about upcoming Star Wars movies?

5. mickcollins says:

My bet is that Carrie either will or won’t reprise …

6. The only thing that could possibly be more exciting than these new Star Wars movies would be a full Police Academy cast reunion, with a cameo by the original Blue Oyster extras.

7. Gerald Mander says:

A provision of Lucas’ sale to Disney really should have been a Do Not Resuscitate order.

• Donald Petersen says:

That right there would have lowered the IP value by half.  This whole enterprise has been nothing more than a license to print money for most of a couple decades now.  You wouldn’t buy such a machine with half its gears deliberately stripped out, would you?

• Peter says:

On Lucas?  I get why fans are still mad about the special editions, but that’s cold, man.

• Donald Petersen says:

Huh.  I thought he was referring to resuscitating the original characters.

• Gerald Mander says:

I think they should DNR the entire franchise. Those movies have chewed the rope-veined boy bone since Return of the Jedi.

• Ramone says:

Wow, that’s a new low in commenting on this site.

8. Dave Jenkins says:

It’s Schroedinger’s Princess: Leia is in a simultaeously exist/nonexist state.  Only the will of the Force can determine which.  However, the very act of applying the force and making this movie will shatter your gold bikini fantasies.

Schroedinger’s paradox and the Japanese concept of “mono no aware” are a lot closer than I had thought…

9. Chentzilla says:

Why nobody reprinting these news doesn’t put a contemporary photo of Fisher with them?

10. timquinn says:

Nerd unintentional sexism alert!!!

I can confirm that princesses do age and can have other roles beyond an inherited title.

Also, isn’t it possible the reporter asked an ambiguous question on purpose? Because he knew the answer to the direst question would garner his interview exactly zero attention? Isn’t it possible Fisher is in on this?

11. pjcamp says:

Leia went to rehab?

12. tubacat says:

Another relevant quote from the article:

“What do you think Princess Leia is like today?

Elderly. She’s in an intergalactic old folks’ home [laughs].

I just think she would be just like she was before, only slower and less inclined to be up for the big battle.”

In other words, no.

13. peregrinus says:

Isn’t Palm Beach a mythical lost town caught in a swirling vortex of questionable money and cocaine?

14. Nash Rambler says:

I have the fear.  The fear of a saggy, baggy Leia shuffling down a hallway, pushing a senile, leathery Solo hunched over in a hoverchair.  She’ll rave about saving the Republic, and between drool-wipes, Solo’ll bark out “Jabba!  Kessel run!” before slumping back into glassy-eyed resignation.

Or maybe it’ll be awesome.  You never know, right?

15. M. Mitchell says:

Actress’ rep tells CNN that Fisher was kidding when she said she had signed on for ‘Star Wars: Episode VII.’

16. mrgoodbar says:

Does anyone know the original source of the painting? I love it!