15 Responses to “Google's Field Trip - an iPhone guide to the "cool, hidden, and unique things in the world around you"”

1. TheKaz1969 says:

… also available on Android phones.

2. Atvaark says:

“Unique things in the world” but available only on the US store.

• Reverend Loki says:

Well, of course.  Everyone knows that, outside of the US, all there are is a bunch of well-documented tourist spots.

That said, there is nothing wrong with aspiring to be full of global info, but starting at a level closer to home.  I’m sure it will be full of data from around the world when it comes out of beta.

Just, while waiting for it to come out of beta, remember it is a Google product….

(OK, technically it’s at version 1.08.  Just had to go and ruin a good joke, didn’t you?   I hope you’re happy with yopurself.)

• retepslluerb says:

Actually, I don’t mind it bring US centric. I’d rather have one well documented region than one well documented region plus half-assed efforts.

But why tourists traveling to the US aren’t supposed to use it, I don’t understand.

3. muriel leventis says:

I recommend checking out the mystery castle in phoenix and gold mine.

4. Lincoln Eddy says:

Got it on Android. It lets me know if there’s an Ingress portal nearby too, which is a useful thing for us Resistance heroes. Or the drones of the Enlightened.

5. Casual_Economy says:

Meh, it’s too cluttered with things I’m not interested in. Needs a better filtering system. Also would be better if the categories weren’t color coded with a tiny little bar that’s hard to see, but with an actual word (i’m also sorta color blind).

6. raines says:

Notable for feature comparison: HearPlanet, which specializes in audio tours (recorded narration for top tourist spots, text-to-speech for wikipedia entries). Available for Android and iOS (pre-6.0, unlike Field Trip). I’m not affiliated, but I know the founder. http://hearplanet.com/

7. rodedwards says:

I’ll be in California and NYC in the next few weeks and would love to have this app. Too bad I’m from Canada. This makes zero sense.

8. majordeegan says:

tired of the blinding iPhone-centric biais. It’s amusing that the title of the post contains the words “google’s…” and yet sounds like it’s IOS only.