Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Grandmaster Flash to the Beat

By Ed Piskor at 8:00 am Tue, Mar 12, 2013

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Published 8:00 am Tue, Mar 12, 2013

About the Author

Hip Hop Family Tree is in stores. Pre-order Hip Hop Family Tree book 2 on Amazon!

More at Boing Boing

The Graffiti Rock TV Pilot

Part 1 of a strip detailing the infamous dance television show that never became a series. The latest from Ed Piskor's Hip Hop Family Tree.

The limits of animal life on Tatooine

Maggie Koerth-Baker on why the megafauna of George Lucas' parched desert world makes no sense. It's not the dry heat that's the problem; it's the food supply.

11 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Grandmaster Flash to the Beat”

1. freshyill says:

If I’m hearing it right, the initial drumbeat from the re-recorded version of Flash to the Beat sampled by the Beastie Boys in Shake Your Rump. I’m probably wrong since it’s not listed here: http://www.paulsboutique.info/Shake_Your_Rump

2. signsofrain says:

Even the internet has more questions than answers about Bozo Meko…

3. chris jimson says:

Ed– you seem to be portraying a Mattel Synsonics drum, which was not available until 1981.  I know you do a lot of research for this comic, but I was under the impression that Flash was using a Vox Percussion King or Columbia Rhythm Box, which were typical early 70′s drum machines (like what you might find on an organ) but could also be played manually by tapping the buttons (and they even had two foot switches so if you were a drummer you could play with your feet as well as hands.)

• Ed Piskor says:

I did choose the Mattel over the Vox. Good eye.  I spoke with the guy who owns exact Beatbox Flash used and he gave me the model # but I couldn’t find an image anywhere and he wouldn’t send me a pic. Said it looks too cheap. I however, didn’t know the synsonic drums weren’t out earlier than 81. FUCK!

4. beepbeep says:

I loath, utterly loath rap and hip hop. But I like this comic. Go figure.

5. Anibal Gonzalez says:

DYKE AND THE BLAZERS!!!

DUDE YOU BROUGHT OUT FUSION BEATS.

6. ted mills says:

Flash to the Beat also features “So you wanna be an emcee huh”, sampled by the Beasties on “Allright Hear This”

7. Ed Piskor says:

I love all you guys who are adding value with the samples, and everything else. These interests were the seeds that inspired me to start this project in the first place.