A Twitter troll called @jimmyob88 sent a series of vile, taunting messages to professional boxer @woodhousecurtis, calling him lots of rotten names. Woodhouse tweeted back that he'd found out the Internet Tough Guy's home address and was headed over to his house "for a brew." After a series of "I'm getting closer" tweets, the troll had a change of heart and tweeted, "Didnt think you would be bothered thought you would take them as a joke" and "i am in the wrong i accept that." Apparently, it ended there. (via Techdirt)

46 Responses to “Boxer announces he's coming over to his Twitter-troll's house "for a beer"”

1. Christopher says:

It’s kind of sad to me that it ended there. On the one hand it’s good that the troll backed down, but I think any internet troll should be confronted in person so he can understand that he’s not attacking a screen name; he’s attacking another living person.

And of course I think the boxer should be allowed to pick the beer, and the troll should have to buy it.

• Donald Petersen says:

I wouldn’t change a thing.  Mr Troll is now widely twitterfamous for being both trollish and too chickenshit to stand behind his words.  I imagine his friends won’t let him forget this anytime soon.

• Gerald Mander says:

One change: I’d out the troll’s identity, if I could. As it stands, he can still hide behind anonymity, the secret to troll success.

• Marc Mielke says:

I recommend “The End of History” at $~875 a bottle retail!

2. Garymon says:

@jimmyob88 , the boxer is in the house. The tweets are coming from the house!

3. Brainspore says:

Weird, the troll’s latest tweets look like something written by a human head being forcibly slammed against a keyboard.

4. GawainLavers says:

That’ll teach him!  He’ll only go after teenage girls from now on.

5. stumo says:

Coming over for a brew = a cup of tea, not a beer, I’d have thought.

6. Remember kids, violence, or the threat of it, solves everything. :/

• morcheeba says:

Or is it that this troll didn’t like sunshine? There’s no way the boxer would have physically assaulted the troll; I think the threat of losing anonymity was much more than the threat of violence.

• Dan Hibiki says:

well… threat of beer in this case.

• Boris Bartlog says:

Yeah, I’m not really getting the love for the boxer’s side of this story, here. Taking jackassery on the internet so seriously that you end up making implied physical threats? Not cool.

• EvilSpirit says:

Yeah, you big bully! What’s the idea, picking on that little bully like that?

• DevinC says:

I thought about that, but now I think there was no implied physical threat.  Just being a boxer and confronting someone isn’t a physical threat, or else he’d be guilty of assault every time he got in an argument.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

And service guarantees citizenship.

Would you like to know more?

7. Nash Rambler says:

From now on, I’m only tweet-slandering the deceased.

8. TacoChuck says:

Why would he back down? The boxer is going to drive over to commit a premeditated felony?

Dude, kick my ass, I need the money.

9. angusm says:

While it’s always nice to see an asshole get what they deserve, at what point does this become ‘threatening behavior’? The legal definition is “the crime of intentionally or knowingly putting another person in fear of imminent bodily injury”, which would probably cover this.

• mccrum says:

If I were the boxer I’d go ahead and take the court rap.  First offense isn’t going to lead to jail time, cash at most.

Totally worth it to know someone had to go on public record as being afraid of bodily injury because they were a jackass.

• Gilbert Wham says:

A good lawyer would make mincemeat of any accusation. He merely wanted to come over for a quiet cup of tea, and discuss the matter sensibly, like adults.

10. James Kelley says:

So how did he manage to find the troll’s home address?

• Gilbert Wham says:

Offered a grand to anyone who’d dox him, far as I can tell. Maltego’s fun, if you wanna find people like, but it’s difficult to enter the commands for transforms with gloves on…

11. Alan Olsen says:

It would have been even better if the boxer’s nickname was “The Viper”.

(Yes I know that joke is obscure.)

12. Sodium says:

I have no time for trolls of any type, but I really wish I could understand why this is getting so much positive press.

Yes, he said he was going over “for a brew” but he also promised that “we” would give the guy “a pasting”. Which would be “beating the shit out of”. That’s a threat of violence and premeditation from a guy who has spent a significant amount of time specifically training himself to hurt people as much as possible with his fists.

He turned up on this troll’s doorstep with nothing but some random person’s word that it was the right address. Fancy having him appearing on your doorstep?

13. RElgin says:

This is way funny; I can imagine the tweets “I’m halfway there; just stopped the car to tweet this~ wouldnt want to kill anyone while tweeting”

Safety first. ^_^