eDrometer Digital Hydrometer for Brewers and Winemakers

19 Responses to “eDrometer Digital Hydrometer for Brewers and Winemakers”

1. foobar says:

This is getting pooh-poohed in /r/homebrewing, and I have to agree. There already exist handheld electronic refractometers for this purpose, and they’re about a quarter the price.

2. mzed says:

Indeed… the price!  I could break 50 analog hydrometers for that.

3. dragonfrog says:

Ah, just stick your hydrometer right in the fermenter – can’t get much faster than that.  You only need two really accurate readings – at the beginning and end of brewing.

• sdmikev says:

Eh, I’ve been brewing for 20 years and I’ve never even bothered.
      Having a glass of my latest stout right now, based on SN recipe, with my own twist.

• huskerdont says:

Wow, that’s pretty laid back. I have no need for a refractometer, considering I’m not making up my own recipes but at most altering existing ones, but I can’t imagine not being curious about final gravity and alcohol content.

• sdmikev says:

I make up my own recipes, based on a lot of early trial and error.
          My stout I just made was based on recipes culled from around the internet for SN, like I noted, then I went from my own starting place and what I like to drink.
          Note, I ALWAYS use CA White Labs 001 ale yeast, and 7 pounds of liquid malt extract for my base, then alter from there.  Different hops, cracked special grains (Crystal, Black patent, etc..)
          For this, I used 2 ounces of Magnum in the boil for 60m, one OZ of Cennt for a half hour, one for the kettle finish and one whole flower Cascade in the secondary ferment for my dry hop.
          1 of the 7 pounds of ME was wheat, as well.

• uberbitter says:

I find there is too much foam to get a good reading for the OG that way. Not that I would spend $500 on such a measuring device either…

• dragonfrog says:

Sure, for the OG I put a sample in a graduated cylinder, letting it overflow and carry the foam away.  For the FG I put another sample in the graduated cylinder.

I just mean in between – say if you want to know far along the fermentation is, to estimate the length of a diacetyl rest – you don’t need to know the gravity to the nearest single point.  For that sort of thing, I can easily eyeball it to within 2 or 3 points without extracting a sample, and that’s quite good enough.

4. SeattlePete says:

Hydrometers suck, for the reasons stated.  Refractometers need to be recalculated and adjusted for increasing alcohol in solution and will not give accurate readings as fermentation progresses.

A lot of homebrewers think that they can use a refractometer without applying the required mathematical correction and still make good beer.  This is the device for them.

• uberbitter says:

I agree hydrometers suck, but I don’t think that most of those homebrewers who find using a refractometer properly too bothersome will have $500 to shell out for this device.

5. retchdog says:

It’s amazing how something humanity has been doing for about 12,000 years now requires laboratory equipment.

• foobar says:

It doesn’t require laboratory equipment, but that doesn’t mean it isn’t useful.

• retchdog says:

yeah, i know. i’m just imagining folks buying all this kit, brewing two or three beers according to stock recipes, and getting tired of it.

i have two stout variants fermenting right now, though they’re only a gallon each. my total equipment expenditure has been about $20. admittedly, $6 of that was for a hydrometer.

• dragonfrog says:

How to measure specific gravity, c. 1669:

“Take of spring water what quantity you please, and make it more than blood-warm, and dissolve honey in it till ’tis strong enough to bear an egg, the breadth of a shilling”

6. Nagurski says:

Probably overkill for hobby/home operations, probably quite useful at any commercial level from brewpub on up.

7. Quibbler says:

A hydrometer has to be one of the simplest devices to use. I have been brewing for 40 years and that is all I need to test the final gravity. Sometimes I use a refractometer  when mashing to test the conversion because they only take a drop to give a measurement.