11 Responses to “Google Maps now allows you to explore Everest, Kilimanjaro and other great mountains”

1. KevinRaposo says:

I’m on top of the world!

2. Michael says:

I’m reading Gordon Korman’s Everest adventure series right now. Base camp looks nothing like I imagined.

• SomeGuyNamedMark says:

Yup, now just add in a heart racing even when sitting still, feeling dizzy if you get up suddenly, and having to breath about 5 times for every step.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Maybe they could sell scratch-and-snitch cards with odors like yak, yak butter, yak dung, yak stew, yak potsticker, damp yak fur sweater and roasted barley.

• niktemadur says:

Don’t forget that ever popular Everest Base Camp Trail staple:  noodles with ketchup, or as the Sherpas call it, spaghetti.
          Namche Bazaar, a spectacular village in the gateway to the Himalayas, seems to have some pretty decent food, pastries in particular, maybe the altitude affects the bread making process in some special way?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Plenty of people in the US call noodles and ketchup spaghetti, too.

Namche is where we bought our quarter yak to carry around unrefrigerated for a week.  They did have some sort of distilled spirit there, though, so that was alright.

3. OtherMichael says:

Thank g-d for this, now I have something to look at when Google Reader is shuttered.

4. timquinn says:

Is it OK if I continue to be unimpressed by mountain climbers?

5. simonbarsinister says:

I climbed Kilimanjaro several years ago. There was an exhausting part crossing a flat plain of volcanic ash just after coming out of the jungle. After returning home I watched my videos and had to laugh at myself. I was moving about 1 mile an hour wheezing with effort while my native guides were walking around clearly bored with my slow pace. I had remembered that crossing as an ordeous trek, but looking back it was very flat and it was only the low oxygen that made it seem so hard.

6. pjcamp says:

I’m starting to think Google Maps is just an excuse for Google employees to write off their vacations.