100 trillion dollar banknote from Zimbabwe, on sale for 90 cents

40 Responses to “100 trillion dollar banknote from Zimbabwe, on sale for 90 cents”

1. I can’t be the only person who thinks of Dr. Evil saying “One hundred TRILLION dollars!”

2. Christopher says:

I have a small collection of paper currency, and I’m seriously tempted by this. Admittedly it would be the most I’d ever paid for an item of paper currency (not counting the bills I have left over from trips to various countries).

My favorite item in my collection, though, is a Korean 1000 won note. It fell out of a copy of Catch-22 I bought at a used bookstore. If you count the cost of the book I paid $2 and change for it.

3. Warren Grant says:

Perfect for making a bet you might lose: “I bet you a hundred trillion dollars you can’t do that” etc etc. When you do lose, hand this over :P

4. Doctor Device says:

I kind of want one… I’d frame it, just for the hell of it.

is it just me, or did they use the Rock Band logo font for their money, with a straightened-out capital A.

5. Mark Stephan says:

And it only cost 1 trillion dollars to make.

6. Robert Drop says:

I think I’ll wait a year and pick up the 100 quintillion dollar note.

• Peacen1k says:

Gonna hold out for a 100 bazillion note.

• BillStewart2012 says:

Remember that Zimbabwe has already devalued their currency a few times – they’ve dropped at least 30 zeroes from the money since they started hyperinflating.  As a friend of mine put it “They’ve diluted it so much that the bills only contain homeopathic quantities of money.”

7. The bottom link is self-referential, instead of going to Amazon.

8. Rickenbacker4001 says:

I gave these to my family on Christmas in their cards..Not the 100 trillion ones, because that’s just cruel…

9. peregrinus says:

I love that in the bottom right there’s an individual code.  Like it matters.

10. Katie Scully says:

$4.95 shipping, though.

11. Dlo Burns says:

Whats the exchange rate for neopets?

12. Keith Tyler says:

That $0.90 price is about a 250% markup over the face value, BTW.

13. Lupus_Yonderboy says:

These will go great for my Snow Crash LARP, I just need to put Reagan’s face on them.

14. Somewhere, in a box in a closet, I’ve got an inch-thick stack of Weimar Republic Deutschmarks that my grandfather had picked up somewhere. Should I sell them on eBay, one at a time?

15. Humbabella says:

I’m think the actual value of the bill is nothing, not 4 cents.  I’ve had one in my wallet for a couple of years now.  The person who gifted it to me was fairly sure that they were put up for sale by a former finance minister who had to flee the country, though he couldn’t prove it.

16. paddle2paddle says:

I’ve got about 400 trillion in Zimbabwean notes that I bought for my classroom for when I talk about hyperinflation.  It’s fun to show students the big stacks of bills that people used to buy things like loaves of bread and then show them the bills themselves.  They’re also very pretty, and I may frame them at some point in time.

17. Mister44 says:

1) I love the font that the “trillion dollars” is in.

2) What does its say about your country where the most interesting thing you can find to put on your money is a pile of rocks.

3) Collecting stamps when I was younger I saw postage stamps that reflected the hyper inflation of Germany. I think the biggest stamp denomination I had was 10 million marks.

18. James Penrose says:

So, this is what that guy in Nigeria intends to send me, really soon now?

Now I know the money exists, I can send him the cash he needs for the emergency fees.

19. theSamLowry says:

Hopefully Zimbabwe gets on the ball and starts selling their currency – seems to be the only guaranteed source of income.

20. timquinn says:

How can I be sure it is not counterfeit?

21. zim99 says:

i’m a Zimbabwean. the price paid here of 90 cents. Ironically is way more valuable than when printed. when the note came out – you couldn’t exchange it for 90 cents on the black market. it was worth fractions of one cent.
    it was cheaper to use the notes for toilet paper. than actually buying the toilet paper.

i did an “illegal” currency deal in the city – where I had a pick up truck of local notes. took me an hour to load it onto the buyers pickup truck.

the USD i received in exchange- easily fitted in my wallet.

in the end, people were weighing the money. and quoting kgs. instead of trying to calculate the numbers. and remember we removed 6 zero’s off the currency before we hit the 100 trillion note.

people starved. shops were empty. it remains a brutal dictatorship. it deserves it’s first freedom ever.

it went from a white racist dictatorship, to a black racist dictatorship with massive poverty and even more death.

but tonight, right this moment, that you read this. someone in my country is being tortured, beaten, starved.
    the 100 trillion note is amusing.

but people should know that it stands for 100 trillion cries for help.

22.  So this is how King Jofi Jofur afforded his lavish lifestyle.

23. Rogoraeck says:

So everyone can become a “trillionaire”

24. Kratoklastes says:

A French chap of my acquaintance from an old banking dynasty (the Leygues) has an entire wall that holds framed stock certificates going back to the 1700s – each generation’s investments had at least one that ‘went to zero’, and those certificates are the ones that were framed as a cautionary tale to future generations.

It’s a fascinating idea for decoration (but I’m almost certain that the person in question had the idea himself and then collected the exemplars: bankers always lie).

Anyhooo… I’ma git me one of them thar Zim-bub-way big-denom notes, and be a multi-trillionaire, bitches!

25. Pekar says:

I sold one of these bills on Craigslist for $50 a couple years ago.  I felt guilty and gave him two hundred trillion dollars instead.

26. Could b a good time to stock up on Zim dollars, maybe, by some miracle, the currency appreciates again, then change your notes back to your local currency.