I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

23 Responses to “Genderswapped Zelda -- rescue Link!”

1. Andrew Perrine says:

This doesn’t make any sense.  Is her girlish frame even strong enough to carry a sword, a shield, a bag of head-sized bombs, a giant boomerang, a bow and arrow, a magic book and wand, a ladder, a raft, and 4 bottles of red potion?

2. Dan Hibiki says:

swapping green dress for an orange one.

3. Aloisius says:

Wow. I remember the Legend of Zelda graphics being a lot better than they actually are. Zelda looks good carrying the sword though.

4. Jorpho says:

The failure to swap the fairy’s sprite for that of some guy implies that men are not entitled to be magical healing fairies if they choose to be.  Or something.  Or not.

5. Keith Tyler says:

Finally, the answer to the oft-posted question, “What if Zelda was a girl?”

6. Is someone going to do a gender swap for Metroid? The world could use a game about a hunky space marine who kills aliens with an oversized gun. — Mentroid. His name is Sam.

7. Cicada Mania says:

Zelda should rescue Zelda.

8. retchdog says:

are the anti-feminist jerks flaming this? my current hypothesis is that some part of the hate of anita sarkeesian is that she represents (to them) old media: communications degree; polished editing and presentation of superficial, kind of condescending analyses of carefully selected excerpts; and so on. similarly for rebecca watson. it can’t be just their positions that are stirring up this hate, nor do i think it’s just misogyny. there’s more to it.

by contrast, i would expect either begrudging tolerance or praise of this kind of pro-active `hacking,’ representing geekiness, creativity and empowerment.

• I’m guessing that a lot of the hate toward Sarkeesian is just hateful jerks.  Some of it is that she cherry-picks, sure, but a lot of it is just hateful jerks who don’t want to see anyone messing with their games. Those games need to be messed with.

I won’t touch the Rebecca Watson debate.  I don’t know much about her, but I have seen people who argue that she tends to be…abrasive.  I’ve seen the allegations that she picks fights in talks.  Inserts feminist, but unrelated, arguments for the sake of shaking things up.  Maybe it needs to happen, but what little I know about her I find her to be as irritating as one of her arch-nemeses, the Amazing Atheist.

• retchdog says:

i agree, they are hateful jerks with petty quibbles. but why the spasm of hate, and why her?

this item is going around the blogosphere, and at least as feminist (imho) as sarkeesian, but i’m guessing it won’t get the hate.

anyway, to me, the whole thing, elevatorgate, ftb, etc. is a train wreck in slow motion. the oh-so-elite atheist community, who would never stoop to such things as watching jersey shore, is currently acting out their own reality drama. i love it all, in the most depraved way. make of that what you will.

• Kenna W says:

”are the anti-feminist jerks flaming this”

A bit, but not as bad as you’d think. I think their reputation is scarier than they actually are. Almost everyone has been really supportive, and I’m mostly only engaging people with serious questions about my project who have taken the time to read my posts. This isn’t just a random gender swap, afterall. (not that I’m opposed to that. lol) :)

Personally, I think the flamers are mostly just people that haven’t played a lot of Zelda games and don’t understand Zelda’s typical role in the series (for example, a few people keep posting “WHAT’S THE POINT” … and I seriously can’t help you there, dude. Go find a philosopher.) A few have had knee-jerk “ermaigherd feminazis ruinin’ mai games” responses, but mostly they just post and run away. They get jumped on pretty fast.

9. anon0mouse says:

“The Legend of Link!”

Let’s do this right.

• The Rizz says:

Considering how many people thought “Zelda” was the guy wandering around with the sword, I’d say this mod makes the original title more correct.

10. Daughter 1 sez: why don’t they just give you the option to be male or female?  I think she has a point. I mean, I’m more butch than Link. All you’d have to do is put him in a dress and tights. Oh. Wait. :/