I write books. My latest is a YA science fiction novel called Homeland (it's the sequel to Little Brother). More books: Rapture of the Nerds (a novel, with Charlie Stross); With a Little Help (short stories); and The Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow (novella and nonfic). I speak all over the place and I tweet and tumble, too.

27 Responses to “Eating a wedding cake in reverse”

1. alesloan says:

Was anyone else reminded of the Red Dwarf episode by this?

2. Silversalty says:

Couldn’t watch the whole thing. Reminded me of a cake made from vomit. Also, Chuck McCann, who was the host of kiddie shows way back when and did the initial reverse video experiments when the tech first developed.

Besides, come on Cory. You long to see “glittery poo.” :P

3. Squiggle says:

The bit at the end with the napkin was inspired.

Edit: holy crap. Just realised my user icon is strangely relevant.

4. Steve says:

I just. don’t, get. it.

5. Tom Ames says:

Great storytelling!

(It doesn’t matter who else way back when also did reverse film techniques.)

• Boundegar says:

Wait, is this a scene from Memento?  I don’t remember this part, maybe it’s from the director’s cut?

6. kiptw says:

Does anybody remember (and know the name of) a humorous short that was used as filler on HBO or some such around 1980-1 featuring a biker springing up (from lying on his face in a parking lot) and walking/flying backwards into a roadhouse while the narrator keeps up a perky, upbeat commentary — “Rise and shine! Here we go, off to make new friends! — as he does a number of things the narrator describes in cheerful, pro-social terms? He cleverly “mends” the pool table with his cue, “fixes” the torn blouse of a young woman, magically “fills” someone else’s empty beer glass, and so on, and the short ends with the protagonist reversing out of the roadhouse and heading off up the highway (backwards, of course) while the narrator talks about all the happy adventures in store for him.

The title was something like “Backover,” but repeated searches over the years have only served to convince me that I’ve gotten it wrong somehow. For all I know, it’s on YouTube, and I’m only failing to use the right words (including various search terms).

7. Reminds me of this reverse chocolate factory video: http://vimeo.com/57463461#at=0 especially the part at the beginning where she un-eats the bar of chocolate.

8. oasisob1 says:

I’ve always said that glitter makes everything better, and that’s why I eat a cup of glitter every day.

9. Kevin Pierce says:

Glitter Poo: Honey Boo Boo’s season 2 nemesis

10. carlogesualdodivenosa says:

You think this is disturbing?  When I was at school, they used to show us educational films occasionally.  When the film was over, it would have to be rewound through the projector; to keep us kids entertained they’d leave the projector on while they did it.  The most memorable example was the one about giving birth.

11. Joel Moore says:

Another video that features pulling cake out of a mouth (this one is quite clever):

12. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I wasn’t expecting him to inhale it

At least he didn’t show the “glitter poo” in reverse

13. blueelm says:

Reminded me of this one: alala cansei de ser sexy with the cake fight

I don’t get the whole link youtube thing. Sorry.

14. Brainspore says:

This takes me back. When I was a kid my family had a Super 8 camera and projector, and I distinctly remember that the highlight of watching birthday footage was running the film backwards to see people vomiting cake like this.

15. arthurchristopherson says:

similar concept for this video by the great band LOW. Alan Sparhawk eats a cake in REAL TIME! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY8OUjxzBhs

16. gsilas says:

This is great!  (not for emetophobes)

I especially love the look of disgust at the “end”, prior to eating the whole cake.  Presumably the artist doesn’t think highly of the institution of marriage?  Was it artistic choice to not include a bride as well?

17. Maureen says:

My question is: why does he look so upset about eating cake?

18. Colin Gelinas says:

I just had to watch the whole thing so I could assure my psyche that the terrible mess at the beginning would be unmade.