Police called over man singing "Free Falling"

14 Responses to “Police called over man singing "Free Falling"”

1. Christopher says:

Here’s hoping he was at least singing it well.

2. GlenBlank says:

It’s a long day livin’ in Reseda
    There’s a freeway
    Runnin’ through the yard…

I love Tom Petty, but I’ve always wondered what he was smokin’ when he wrote this line. :-)

There’s no freeway running through Reseda – the nearest one is a mile south, running through Encino and Tarzana.

Poor Reseda – gets no respect. Can’t even get an earthquake named for it. :-)

(The epicenter of the 1994 Northridge Quake was actually in Reseda, but early reports put it in Northridge, and the name stuck.)

• Christopher says:

As a fellow Tom Petty lover (but only from a distance ever since the restraining order) I was going to suggest that maybe only “Reseda” had the right rhythm, but clearly both “Encino” and “Tarzana” would work nicely.

Maybe he was trying to give Reseda some respect, though. Getting mentioned in a song seems like a pretty nice thing.

• L_Mariachi says:

Maybe it’s not a literal freeway. Maybe the freeway is in his mind, beckoning, and he’s so close to taking it it feels like it’s right there in the yard and all he has to do is step outside…

3. Nell Anvoid says:

No crime committed eh? I’m pretty sure that the inebriated perp would be roundly convicted in the court of good taste.

4. dave3 says:

Well, 4:02 PM is a lot better than 4:02 AM.

5. Lupus_Yonderboy says:

I believe in the right to bear arms, standing your ground, and appropriate response.  In other words, don’t come singing Tom Petty at me unless you want me singing George Jones at *you*.

6. Good thing that the ASCAP didn’t find out that he was publicly performing copyrighted music.

7. Garrett Eaton says:

The caller did the right thing. This man needs to be stopped.

8. Kerouac says:

So, Oregon voters wouldn’t legalize pot but they would legalize public performance of post-Heartbreaker Tom Petty songs? That’s bullshit, man.

9. But when are they going to do something about all the vampires, walkin’ through the valley?