The CONET Project: spy station recordings reissued

21 Responses to “The CONET Project: spy station recordings reissued”

1. Lucy Gothro says:

I’ve read about this in a book from the “Big Secrets” series.  It’s just so strange to try and figure out what the purpose of these broadcasts are…and creepy.

2. showme says:

And these numbers “stations” have also morphed into numbers tweets, as recounted at this very blog:

3. Magnus Redin says:

What is the internet equivalent?  Might some of the spam with 20000000 recipients carry a hidden meaning?

• theophrastvs says:

above-all, you may well, be certain of one thing, it’s got nothing, repeat, nothing, to do with, the Boing-boing, comments, (or, punctuation), or by way of the strict amount of information, one would be hidden, there;

4. tw1515tw says:

2-4-1-4-6
    Bingo!

5. I adore the CONET project. I especially love the uncomfortable expressions on users faces that drop by my desk while I have the collection set to loop.

• Quiet Wyatt says:

If you’re being serious… that sounds like a great and creative way to discourage workplace lingerers.  Kind of like businesses that use high frequencies to drive away teens.

I have the CONET project CDs too, but only find myself playing them once yearly, if that. I find that exposure for more than an hour is a fast track to nightmares.

•  24-carat truth, Quiet. I’m the help desk manager for $COMPANY, and often have people dropping by at all hours to “Ask you a question about my personal computer, real quick I promise, is that ok?” I had one nurse stick it out for 3 minutes before beating a hasty retreat. “What the hell are you listening to anyway?”

Heh heh.

• zuludaddy says:

I have the CD set, too. There are very few things in this world that creep me out to the point of visceral reaction. CONET is one of them.

6. miasm says:

Yeah, “I wrote an article…
    How about an ‘Abandon hope all ye who enter here’?
    I mean, c’mon!

7. jimkirk says:

That intro sounds very much like “The Ups and Downs”…

8. Drabula says:

Back in the early 80s when I began studying all things Soviet a friend and I used to huddle over his dad’s shortwave and giggle with glee any time we managed to tune in some Russian gibberish. I eventually earned a degree in Slavic Languages and turned down a career with you-know-who. Oh, and there’s a Porcupine Tree song that ends with some numbers station stuff that’s really good. I forget what the song’s called.

• idiotjed says:

It’s “Even Less,” from the album Stupid Dream.
      We also hear some number station stuff in the new TV series The Americans, though I imagine those bits are newly created and not authentic recordings.

9. saint_al says:

In the ’80s, on the night the US was invading Panama to go after Noriega, a numbers station I was listening to was calling “Ocho dos! Ocho dos!” followed by a lengthy set of five-digit numbers in Spanish. My roommate turned to me and asked which military unit had been deployed for the mission. I paled and said “The 82nd Airborne, All-Americans”. He exploded in laughter and screamed “We solved it!”. Well, not fully solved but strange nonetheless.

10. CC says:

I’ll just leave this here: http://www.earth101.net/

11. Touch Sensitive says:

Ace. Cheers. Just pledged £8 (sterling). Look forward to the download ‘package’.

Early 80s, as a kid, a bedroom looking out over Dublin bay, I was given a very modest Panasonic RF-1105DLBE Radio as a birthday present. The SW was packed at the time with trawler noise, along with the dreaded Thunk Thunk Thunk Thunk and ‘Russian Woodpecker’.

Damn I was proud of that radio. SW lullabies..

12. medontlivenoprahsworld says:

Be sure to drink your Ovaltine.

13. Christopher Houser says:

Didn’t even need to read it. just saw the picture and nerded the fuck out. <3 Thank you for posting this. :) Big fan of this intriguing and mysterious part of our history. Possibly one of the creepiest things that actually happens in this modern age.

14. Sampletastic! I’ll be downloadin’ and choppin’ and sequencin’ for DAYS now!