Beautiful photos of cellphone masts disguised as ugly trees

20 Responses to “Beautiful photos of cellphone masts disguised as ugly trees”

1. peregrinus says:

… or triffids disguised as cell phone masts?

2. Felton / Moderator says:

Ah, the old disguise-yourself-as-a-bush-to-avoid-detection trick.  Works in the movies.

3. G3 says:

We are the strangest species. But it does look like a good place to hide an immunity idol.

4. Josh Slavin says:

Any idea what filter/effect/photoshop tools the photographer might have used to get that oil paint landscape look?

• IronEdithKidd says:

Just looks like old film or weathered Polaroids to me.

• oasisob1 says:

I was gonna say it looks like it’s been treated with Hipstamatic. I’d like to see larger versions of these images, too.

• “…says Marsh, who completed the project over six months in 2009.”

Those filters are based on real cross-exposure effects. i.e. it is possible to create them without iPhone apps ;)

• oasisob1 says:

So, ‘it’s possible’ means ‘yes, i used iphone apps’? Doesn’t matter; I really like some of his photos, and I’m interested in the details of how they were produced.

• I’m confused by your reply, I think that maybe we’re misinterpreting each other?

• oasisob1 says:

IDK. Doesn’t matter. Photos are cool, I’m curious about the process, perhaps to try to recreate some for myself, with or without digital tricks like iphone apps.

5. welcomeabored says:

“Most people don’t feel strongly positive or negative, they simply view them as a curiosity.”

The owner of an empty lot in our HOA-dominated neighborhood, tried to lease the land to AT&T, to put up one of their fake tree cell towers.  It’s the only time I’ve seen my neighbors take any collective interest in what’s going on beyond the immediate boundaries of their yards.  They were foaming-at-the-mouth angry.  They threatened to sue anyone who even thought of lowering their property values with one of those towers.  Just in case any other lot owner was getting ideas.

The project was dropped and the lot-owning potential leaser slunk off.

Meanwhile, sick to death of having our calls drop, we purchased one of those signal boaster boxes.  The nearest tower is about two miles away, as the crow flies.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

They think that having bad cell service helps their property value? That’s…. quaint. That’s one of the first things that buyers check.

• welcomeabored says:

The signal repeater works pretty well; I went from one bar in most of the house to five bars, even in the kitchen (the dead zone).

That we had to shell out the money to buy the repeater to get a strong enough signal, exemplifies the attitude of my neighbors toward any issue that does not affect them personally – ‘it’s *your* problem, *you* deal with it’.  If they seem short-sighted it’s because most of them have no intention of selling till they’re carried out on a stretcher… and they still have land lines.

6. kiptw says:

Wait, what cell phone towers are we talking about here? I’m completely fooled.

7. Texas Independent says:

Would you recognize this as a disguised cell antenna?
    More here:

8. TheGnagflow61 says:

Now if they could disguise wind-turbines …

9. This is one near me. It really ruins an otherwise-nice view. http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1623470