6 Responses to “Calculating product placement in hip hop songs: CDZA's $56 million musical shopping spree”

1. blueelm says:

Boo I was hoping for a BUNCH of cereal to be in that shopping cart.

2. nojopar says:

I think their methodology is a bit off.  They should take the price at the time of the song’s publication and then normalize for inflation to like, say, 2012 dollars.  So like Sir Mix-A-Lot’s E class Mercedes would have be around $20,000 in 1986 dollars.  Adjusting for inflation, that’d make it around $40,000, not the $75,000 of a modern version.  It won’t have any real impact on the big price point there (the G6) since we’re talking only 2 years.

/pedantic economist

3. Tim says:

Without the G6 it would only be a $0.66 million dollar shopping spree. Not as impressive. Also, I believe I heard the lyric “Cristal poppin’ in a stretch Navigator”, as in Lincoln Navigator which seems to be left out.

4. peregrinus says:

Country surely has an even bigger budget, at least in alcohol placements.  “One more round of Jose Cuervo” anybody?

5. rezmuff says:

If they’re trying to persuade the audience of something, they need to make a more scientific case.
    As-is, what does this number represent? The combined value of some products mentioned in carefully-selected snippets of an arbitrary number of particular songs? Their final sum was entirely an editorial decision on their part. Add a song, remove another, and the price changes dramatically.

It would be more impressive if they found a particularly egregious brand-referencing song and used that.

6. blueelm says:

I will just leave this here:

My favorite by far is not here though:  “I can make a Sprite can disappear in my mouth.”