8 Responses to “Time-lapse of a particularly intense aurora borealis display”

1. CH says:

Beautiful!

I saw the same Aurora Borealis… I was just on my way inside when I noticed a faint green glow in the sky, one of those “did I see it or not?”. I’m quite a bit more south than where that video was taken (I live more or less right square on the Kp=5 line), so it was way more faint and constantly disappearing and coming back. But hey! It was Aurora Borealis! I’ve only seen it a couple of times where I live. And even though it was faint, it was still incredibly impressive and surreal at the same time!

2. gtronsistem says:

getting tired of the Looooooooong slooooooooow intros on this sort of video – 20 seconds before an image? over a minute before the intended viewing?

give me the credits at the end, and give me credit enough as a modern day highly visually sophisticated viewer that I don’t need the dramatic build to be astounded.and the slow piano… I almost passed out.seriously, imagine if all content had such precursors, you’d get nothing done waiting for something to happen.

3. autark says:

A) This is amazing and I’m so jealous, I’ve been wanting to see an aurora for several years now, but going to Iceland twice and Norway/Sweden once hasn’t generated results (bad timing/weather).

B) I could be wrong, but since this was taken with a 180degree fish eye, couldn’t this be turned into a Virtual Panorama?  Like one of those video panos you can drag your point of view around in even though it’s not a still image?? I want to see that!

4. Aurora Marie says:

my name is aurora. my dad named me and lives in Alaska. he “sees” me quite often. I’ve always loved reading about the borealis. so cool!

5. kgelner says:

I was super lucky and was in Iceland on a aurora-viewing jeep tour the night this occurred… I think it started a bit earlier than night there but I still caught much of the tail end of it.  Amazing stuff…  even though this is a time lapse and so things move rapidly, in real life at times the effect was moving as fast as it does in this video.

You can see my pictures from the Aurora viewing session here:

6. ldobe says:

I’m so glad we have a magnetic field and an atmosphere.  Instead of getting radiation poisoning on the ground, we get an incredibly beautiful lightshow in the north and south.  Damn impressive.

7. OtherMichael says:

One winter night in South Dakota, when I was about 3, my parents woke me and my sister up, bundled us up and brought us out into the street to stare at the dancing sky.