43 Responses to “Florida polo tycoon has difficulty adopting his 42-year-old girlfriend in order to keep assets away from bio-kids, ex-wife, family of guy he killed in a hit-and-run”

1. Christopher says:

I knew there was something shady about him when he said, “You want a toe? I can get you a toe. Believe me, there are ways.”

2. chaopoiesis says:

Even wealthy sociopaths have the right to make art… though it doesn’t excuse them from the moral consequences.

3. Brainspore says:

Sheesh. I always knew John Goodman was a monster, but I thought he was one of those “really a good guy with a heart of gold who only scares children because that’s part of his job description” kind of monsters.

4. Gemma says:

Florida polo tycoon has difficulty marrying his 42-year-old girlfriend in order to keep assets
    away from bio-kids, ex-wife, family of guy he killed in a hit-and-run

… should say “difficulty adopting”

5. Petzl says:

Wilson died in 2010 after a car accident involving Goodman, who was allegedly drunk at the time. [...] Goodman was convicted of DUI manslaughter [....]

I think after there’s a DUI conviction, you graduate from “allegedly drunk” to “drunk.”

6. G3 says:

Isn’t it time to start keeping a morality tree like family trees? Did this guy have a dad who went the extra mile to be a creep? What about his dad’s dad, and so on? Because this guy is sure teaching his own offspring a thing or two about lowlifeness. Generations from now, he might have left a real legacy.

7. Ender Wiggin says:

i have to admit, i clicked through simply to find out what a polo tycoon is.  I’m no more enlightened than when i started.

• I took the words apart. He’s a tycoon because he’s “a wealthy, powerful person in business or industry” and he plays polo and founded a polo club.

• RadioSilence says:

Yeah. Polo the sport played on horseback? Because I don’t see where the money’s coming from in that unless it’s breeding/selling the horses or betting on it.

• Ryan_T_H says:

My guess would be the same place Golf club money comes from. Club/Membership fees and associated services. And the more expensive the better.

• Funk Daddy says:

Licensing products bearing brand / association with the club/sport/etc.

Relevant Example: http://www.trademarkia.com/logo-76525938.html

One of many, that one is specific to clothing. Don’t believe for a second that the market is the few polo players/clubbers/fans. The mass market, for many reasons, eats this shit up… despite having almost no significant reason for desiring an association via the product.

Free money, everyone else involved does the work, design/manufacture/wholesale/retail/distribution/marketing. and it is they who keep the lions share, but the copyright holder gets a nice cut for doing literally nothing, their work building the brand is done.

That’s a simplified explanation, but IPC,PB has scads of operative licensing agreements.

8. Matt Popke says:

Correct me if I’m mistaken, but if I were sentenced to prison for DUI manslaughter and my case was pending appeal, wouldn’t I still be in jail? Was the court hoping an angered citizen would find him and kill him in his sleep, or were they bribed?

9. Gilbert Wham says:

Wow. Hiassen and Dorsey et al really don’t need to make shit up, do they?

10. BookGuy says:

I’m just surprised there’s a legal mechanism in place for adopting 42-year-olds.  Seems like a moot point for anyone over 18 and legally competent.

Except for legal shenanigans and trying to hide your assets, I guess….

• chgoliz says:

I was adopted as an adult.  There are non-shenanigan reasons (having a next of kin who will make good medical decisions for you, as an example).  The situation here does not fall into that category, obviously.

• Stephen Rice says:

In Britain at least, you’d give someone a welfare Power of Attorney for that. They’d then go “I have this piece of paper, give him medicine”

*Adopting* — i.e. severing all ties to their previous parents and completing replacing them with you — seems like a nuclear option for that.

• Kassie says:

I have heard of people who are unable to marry in a state doing this, mostly people who are gay, in order to have inheritance and other legal rights. And it happens often with folks who are developmentally disabled too, even if they are legally competent.

11. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

I was wondering if it was legal to have sex with your adopted daughter.

• chgoliz says:

Sadly more common than in bio-families, but still illegal if she’s a minor.  It becomes merely a ethical violation if the adoptee is an adult too unless there are other circumstances (mentally unable to give consent, etc.).

I should point out, since I’ve just mentioned being adopted as an adult, that there’s never been any sex – voluntary or forced – involved in my case!

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Adopting your lover was (and maybe still is) a workaround for gay people not being able to get married.

12. Am I the only one here thinking Polo Tycoon! would make a pretty awesome computer game?

13. Marc45 says:

So is the outrage about this because he wants to use the legal system to keep his money away from his kids and ex-wife or because he wants to avoid paying a big settlement to the dead guys family?

Because I never understood why kids seem to think they automatically deserve the fruits of their parent’s hard work.  (Although I don’t know if playing polo constitutes hard work)

• chgoliz says:

I can’t speak for others, but I’m outraged at multiple aspects of this story, not just one specific detail.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Although I generally agree about the oddity of expecting an inheritance (which seems to be an absolute mania in the UK), in this case, I’d bet that his children deserve some sort of combat pay for having him as a father. It’s also possible that he inherited money with the expectation that it would pass on to his children.

14. Sallynotadude says:

Oh Florida, please fight Arizona to the death.

15. The Hamster King says: