North Korean leader Kim Jong-Eun is a Mac Guy

62 Responses to “North Korean leader Kim Jong-Eun is a Mac Guy”

1. RElgin says:

All the really evil guys use Macs.
    More importantly, I hope you are doing well Xeni. ^_^

2. What brand of computer he uses is news? Who is using Reuters to distract us from what?

Apple is the #1 selling brand of computer in the world; finding someone using one is hardly news.

• TheKaz1969 says:

Really? I couldn’t find statistics to back this up. As recently as Q1 2012 they weren’t in the top 5…

• teapot says:

1) Pjay: #1 selling computer brand? How are you measuring that? If you take historical sales into account then that figure is patently wrong. If you include tablets and are talking about only in the last year or so then you may be correct, though HP and Lenovo are selling relatively the same number of units as Apple. That and the picture in question is of a standard laptop/desktop computer of which Apple has never been the #1 selling brand.

2) Cow, I have to take you to to task on the ‘tablet computers’ bit. Please explain to me how a tablet and a smartphone differ as candidates for the title ‘computer’? Don’t say screen size because I can negate that by plugging my smartphone into my TV and using a bluetooth keyboard/mouse. Don’t say hardware specification dominance because there are plenty of smartphones that rival or beat leading tablets. Don’t say OS because it’s the same on phones and on tablets.

Tablets compute, but they are still a distinctly different product from what people typically consider to be a personal computer. There are a range of functions that at present cannot be achieved by using an ipad/android tab. Coding was mentioned as an example which is not easy (or even impossible) on a tablet. I would also contend that tools/software which demand precision (I’m talking Photoshop, InDesign, Premiere) are not yet up-to-scratch on tabs. I agree that the new windows 8 tablets do start to erode this divide between tablets and PCs (because they run a fully-featured OS), but since their market share is junk at the moment I’d say they have a long way to come before being relevant to the discussion.

3) Apple fans, Apple haters: STFU. I use Win, OSX & Android. I am better than all of you :)

3. More importantly, what brand of enriched uranium does he use?

4. R. Stevens says:

We should send John Hodgman over there to defeat him in single combat. Cheapest, smartest war ever.

5. doctorak says:

Does this means North Korea has enough ingeneering capacity to install Linux Red Star OS on a Mac?

6. Rindan says:

And then Xeni was like “trollolololololol!”

7. Paul Renault says:

Oh noes!  Next thing you’ll be telling me is that he’s a vegetarian, like Hitler!

8. TheKaz1969 says:

Of course he uses Apple.. he’s all about image, right?

9. gracchus says:

I’m more intrigued by the fact that the Junior is finally using Wifi. I mean, check out the unplugged yellow Ethernet cable right under the monitor.

10. rocketpj says:

Fiercely controlled territory with zero tolerance of competing platforms: Check
    Masses of devoted followers ready to defend every last foible: Check
    Strict uniformity of design and thought: Check

Of course he is using a Mac.  NK is no more ‘communist’ than Apple is egalitarian.  They fit perfectly (when we accept that Apple and all other major computer  are morality-free corporations).

• James Penrose says:

Has anyone ever edited the original Apple commercial to put Steve Jobs in place of the giant face on the telescreen demanding conformity in all things and that there is only one true way to think?

It’s amazing how quickly they went from “Think Different” to “Think Like Us Or Begone, Peasant!”

• Cowicide says:

Fiercely controlled territory with zero tolerance of competing platforms: Check

You mean Microsoft?

Because you should.

Masses of devoted followers ready to defend every last foible: Check

You also mean Microsoft users? Android users? Fixed-gear bike users? Bare feet shoe users?

You should.

Strict uniformity of design and thought: Check

So you think all Mac users think alike?  You should let Xeni and Rush Limbaugh know that.

Of course he is using a Mac.

Did a Mac beat you up when you were a kid or something?

Disclaimer:  I use Windows, Linux and Mac and none of those Operating Systems define me.   Does yours?

• rocketpj says:

Nope.  I use computers that are as good as I can afford when the old one breaks.  Since they seem to break when I am poor it is usually not a Mac.

That said, are you asserting there aren’t large groups of people who get all tribal about their iProducts?

Personally I don’t care, but it seemed a good idea for a joke.

11. SedanChair says:

Americans should be deeply concerned about these events. While the North may eventually be able to put a nuclear weapon on top of a long-range missile and attack the United States, Pyongyang’s bombs can already reach our friends in South Korea and Japan. There is also a danger that North Korea may export nuclear technology to other rogue states, like Iran and terrorist groups. Remember that the North did send a nuclear reactor for producing bomb-making material to Syria — luckily Israeli warplanes destroyed the unfinished facility in 2006. The danger of exports will grow in the future if the North’s nuclear arsenal continues to grow.

FOR FUCK’S SAKE WHEN WILL JOURNALISTS STOP THIRSTING FOR WARS THEY DON’T HAVE TO FIGHT

• Cowicide says:

When they stop working for war profiteer corporations.

• Luther Blissett says:

Wohaa, where did that come from? Did you read the comments under the ‘Atlantic’ post? Seems to me the commenters there take it as defaetistic, apologetic, and far-to-pacifistic piece of work.

I’m confused.

12. cubejockey says:

i wonder if they had to disassemble that mac and inspect the crap out of every circuit for some type of spyware?

Then again have our president’s devices been through a fine tooth comb?

13. “Here’s To The Crazy Ones. The misfits. The rebels. The trouble-makers. The round pegs in the square holes.
    The ones who see things differently. They’re not fond of rules, and they have no respect for the status-quo.”

Well, I guess our buddy Kim Jong-Eun fits that description….

14. If I were a dictator, I’d respect Steve Jobs’ leadership methods.

15. chgoliz says:

A bit late in the thread for initial impressions, but the first thought that came to mind when I saw the headline was: even a stopped clock is right two times a day.

16. kjh says:

Actually, he’s not *using* a Mac.  He has one on his desk.  He’s possibly *using* a pen and paper though.

He also has lots of really old style telephones. That must mean something.

17. Cunning says:

lil’Kim, lol.  Love that, wish I’d thought of it.