Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Afrika Bambaataa Planet Rock

By Ed Piskor at 6:00 am Tue, Apr 2, 2013

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Published 6:00 am Tue, Apr 2, 2013

About the Author

Hip Hop Family Tree is in stores. Pre-order Hip Hop Family Tree book 2 on Amazon!

More at Boing Boing

The limits of animal life on Tatooine

Maggie Koerth-Baker on why the megafauna of George Lucas' parched desert world makes no sense. It's not the dry heat that's the problem; it's the food supply.

The Man Who Mailed Frying Pans

In the latest episode of the Futility Closet podcast, we follow postal enthusiast W. Reginald Bray as he sends bowler hats, seaweed, his dog and even himself through the British mail.

16 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Afrika Bambaataa Planet Rock”

1. mikei says:

Awesome.  The big panel is poster-worthy.

2. MrJM says:

^ Pre-order the book, people.

3. I had no idea the drum machine programmer was uncredited and has made no royalties. Interesting part of the story. Surely he knows he helped create a hit.

4. Big Sleep says:

It’s actually written Super Sporm, not Super Sperm (the previous single was Wonder Worm).

5. Carpeteria says:

I’m hoping the Jonzun Crew are going to make an appearance in here sometime soon…

6. PaulDavisTheFirst says:

as someone who had been listenng to kraftwerk for at least 5 years before planet rock came out, but had also gotten into rap and “electro-funk” (which preceeded planet rock by a year or two), it is hard to overstate what a total mindfuck this record was. and not necessarily in a good way. it wasn’t a very good “cover” of kraftwerk and it wasn’t really a very good rap song either. there was much better electro-funk floating around, but this one, this sound, is the one that stuck for some reason.

7. phlavor says:

I’m pretty sure that I’m “Joe”. I’ll take those royalties with interest please.

8. Brian Blank says:

Like PaulDavisTheFirst, I too was into Kraftwerk back then (still am). I was also into Whodini, Grandmaster Flash, and Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force. I saw them play at The Vic Theater in Chicago. They were all dressed up in their wild costumes, much like the P-Funk gang. At the end of the show, they were performing their encore. I was up front dancing and a big hand reached down from the stage. I reached out, got pulled onto the stage, and ended up singing into the microphone with the band. That’s something I’ll never forget!

9. OtherMichael says:

I’m “Joe” and so is my wife.

10. phuzz says: