Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Afrika Bambaataa Planet Rock

By Ed Piskor at 6:00 am Tue, Apr 2, 2013

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Read the rest of the Hip Hop Family Tree comics!

Published 6:00 am Tue, Apr 2, 2013

About the Author

Hip Hop Family Tree is in stores. Hip Hop Family Tree book 2 is now on Amazon!
Coming soon: The Hip Hop Family Tree Box Set

16 Responses to “Brain Rot: Hip Hop Family Tree, Afrika Bambaataa Planet Rock”

1. mikei says:

Awesome.  The big panel is poster-worthy.

2. MrJM says:

^ Pre-order the book, people.

3. I had no idea the drum machine programmer was uncredited and has made no royalties. Interesting part of the story. Surely he knows he helped create a hit.

4. Big Sleep says:

It’s actually written Super Sporm, not Super Sperm (the previous single was Wonder Worm).

5. Carpeteria says:

I’m hoping the Jonzun Crew are going to make an appearance in here sometime soon…

6. PaulDavisTheFirst says:

as someone who had been listenng to kraftwerk for at least 5 years before planet rock came out, but had also gotten into rap and “electro-funk” (which preceeded planet rock by a year or two), it is hard to overstate what a total mindfuck this record was. and not necessarily in a good way. it wasn’t a very good “cover” of kraftwerk and it wasn’t really a very good rap song either. there was much better electro-funk floating around, but this one, this sound, is the one that stuck for some reason.

7. phlavor says:

I’m pretty sure that I’m “Joe”. I’ll take those royalties with interest please.

8. Brian Blank says:

Like PaulDavisTheFirst, I too was into Kraftwerk back then (still am). I was also into Whodini, Grandmaster Flash, and Afrika Bambaataa & The Soulsonic Force. I saw them play at The Vic Theater in Chicago. They were all dressed up in their wild costumes, much like the P-Funk gang. At the end of the show, they were performing their encore. I was up front dancing and a big hand reached down from the stage. I reached out, got pulled onto the stage, and ended up singing into the microphone with the band. That’s something I’ll never forget!

9. OtherMichael says:

I’m “Joe” and so is my wife.

10. phuzz says: