You can build your own cicada detector and help Radiolab track the movements of a once-every-17-year cicada swarm expected to invade the US East Coast this summer.

10 Responses to “Citizen science project: Tracking cicadas on the East Coast”

1. G3 says:

I live around those things and have been looking for a highly toxic, non-biodegradable spray to solve that problem for years. Seriously. In this case the environmental disaster and dead zones would be worth it.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Why? They’re quite harmless.

• Charlie B says:

Unless you ride a motorcycle into the Patapsco area during the once-every-221 years 13-year 17-year overlap and hit several hundred of them at 65mph or so.  If you’re not wearing a full face helmet and leathers you may not survive; I swear it’s as close as I ever want to come to being hit by a machine gun.  Black bruises the size of ping pong balls all over my body and I damn near got knocked off the seat.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

They’re harmless. You, on the other hand, are hemiptericidal.

• G3 says:

They make so much noise and that interferes with my video gaming. Scientists estimate that around 7 billion species have gone extinct. So that means we get 1 per person. Mine will be cicadas.

• Nick says:

Yeah what gives. Howard County, Maryland last saw them in summer 2004. Every 17 years?

• TripleE78 says:

There’s multiple cycles.  In 2004, the whole DC-Baltimore area got hit with a convergence of like 2-3 cycles at once hence the feeling of apocalypse.

2. sqyntz says:

my 18-year old cat remembers, and spent all winter sharpening her claws for cicada-fest.

3. GadgetGav says:

Why does an article about a project by RadioLab, link out to a PopSci page that *then* links to RadioLab?  Why not link directly to the subject you’re talking about?

4. Bloo says:

Locally in Tallahassee we have detected these cicadas: