MONITOR: Los Angeles art punks, 1980

NewImage

MONITOR was a short-lived Los Angeles art punk band that first performed on Halloween 1978. The group was part the experimental transmedia micro-scene of "Associated Skull Bands" like Nervous Gender, Human Hands, BPeople, and Boyd Rice's NON. Through the mail art network, MONITOR connected with DEVO pal Ed Barger who recorded MONITOR's self-titled LP in 1980. Writing for the Los Angeles Reader, Matt Groening (yes, that Matt Groening) said in 1981 that "MONITOR's debut album, a compendium of mutant amplified folk tunes is the best local release I've heard all year." Now, Superior Viaduct records has reissued that LP on CD with additional bonus tracks. Special note: the track "Hair" on the album was actually performed by The Meat Puppets at MONITOR's invitation. MONITOR: s/t CD

9 Responses to “MONITOR: Los Angeles art punks, 1980”

1. peteykins says:

Oh, wow, fantastic; I’ve been waiting for this. I hope they remastered it, because the original vinyl was terribly mastered (despite how great it was, etc., etc.).

2. Brad Laner says:

It is remastered from the original tapes and sounds utterly gorgeous. The best band from Northridge, CA ever !

• peteykins says:

I’m so happy to hear that. Can’t wait to hear it! It is definitely on my “Top 10 favorite anything ever” list.

3. Punk? I’m hearing just a bit out there prog here. Of course punk was always a bigger tent than most people think. Pretty good stuff. I will have to check this out.

4. missiris says:

Shameless self promotion: My boyfriend is helping put on a free Human Hands show Friday April 26 at Taix’s 321 Lounge. If you are a fan of Monitor, you may enjoy the Human Hands as well. Another great band, the Mecolodiacs, will be playing, too.  A link to the event page on Facebook can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/278521838949561/

Also, I cannot WAIT to buy that reissue. I’ll be heading to the record store to get it tomorrow, probably.

5. sct_r says:

Okay but don’t forget other L.A. ArtPunk bands like my favorite: The Party Boys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc6sKHt62VA

6. timquinn says:

The other side of this scene is the Los Angeles Free Music Society a banner which many of these musicians perform under in different combinations and under different band names. The late 70s and early 80s were a remarkable time in the local music scene and largely due to the influence of these thoughtful and crazy people.

You go home, Beak!

7. skyebudz says:

Fuck Spewtube

8. Tom Gallo says:

stevie from mad society..?