Read more in Music at Boing Boing

David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.

TAGS:

9 Responses to “MONITOR: Los Angeles art punks, 1980”

1. peteykins says:

Oh, wow, fantastic; I’ve been waiting for this. I hope they remastered it, because the original vinyl was terribly mastered (despite how great it was, etc., etc.).

2. Brad Laner says:

It is remastered from the original tapes and sounds utterly gorgeous. The best band from Northridge, CA ever !

• peteykins says:

I’m so happy to hear that. Can’t wait to hear it! It is definitely on my “Top 10 favorite anything ever” list.

3. Punk? I’m hearing just a bit out there prog here. Of course punk was always a bigger tent than most people think. Pretty good stuff. I will have to check this out.

4. missiris says:

Shameless self promotion: My boyfriend is helping put on a free Human Hands show Friday April 26 at Taix’s 321 Lounge. If you are a fan of Monitor, you may enjoy the Human Hands as well. Another great band, the Mecolodiacs, will be playing, too.  A link to the event page on Facebook can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/events/278521838949561/

Also, I cannot WAIT to buy that reissue. I’ll be heading to the record store to get it tomorrow, probably.

5. sct_r says:

Okay but don’t forget other L.A. ArtPunk bands like my favorite: The Party Boys http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fc6sKHt62VA

6. timquinn says:

The other side of this scene is the Los Angeles Free Music Society a banner which many of these musicians perform under in different combinations and under different band names. The late 70s and early 80s were a remarkable time in the local music scene and largely due to the influence of these thoughtful and crazy people.

You go home, Beak!

7. skyebudz says:

Fuck Spewtube

8. Tom Gallo says:

stevie from mad society..?