When your heart was just a tube

12 Responses to “When your heart was just a tube”

1. Humbabella says:

I’d like to point out that a “6-week” fetus is an entity with a continuous existence that dates back to before it’s mother was born.  So while it has only been fertilized for 4 weeks, it is had been alive for longer, most likely between 14 and 50 years (though there could be some outliers).

• I’m not sure that you can call a fertilized egg or fetus the same entity as a non-fertilized egg. But this sounds like a good debate for America’s conservative pastors!

• Amber Collier says:

Jonathan. you think Nancy`s blurb is incredible, on tuesday I bought themselves a Lotus Elan after having made $8483 this last four weeks and a little over ten k last month. this is definitely the most comfortable work I have ever had. I actually started 5 months ago and almost immediately made at least $87, per hour. I use the details on this website,, fab22.comCHECK IT OUT

• Humbabella says:

Well, I assume that when the sperm and egg meet God hands out the soul. Unless it’s identical twins, then God doesn’t hand out the souls until it splits.  God, being omniscient, thankfully knows the difference.

• Jellodyne says:

You’re ruling out the possibility that one identical twin is always born soulless– the ‘evil twin’ hypothesis.

• Humbabella says:

Aha!  That explains it.  Perhaps it is having a soul that prevents one from growing a dark goatee.

• dragonfrog says:

Why stop there?  Its existence can goes back hundreds of millions of years.

• Andrew Singleton says:

Except the earth was only around for six thousand!

/sarcasm

In all seriousness. An interesting article.

2. ladymiseryali says:

Looks like a slug, but really cool! The heart-cells beating in the petri-dish was awesome looking. Sure, there’s a beating heart tube, but that doesn’t automatically mean a woman loses her right to control what stays in her body……yea.

3. Shinkuhadoken says:

I have a confession to make. I was once a single-celled organism.

4. Snig says:

My embryology professor used to say that gastrulation was the most important event of your life, going from a single layer of cells into a much more complex animal.

5. Crashproof says:

Saint Louis is riddled with anti-abortion billboards (there are a LOT of Catholics here).  The latest has a cute picture of an obviously highly developed fetus that says “my heart beat 18 days after conception.”

I knew it was lulz-worthy but now I have a better appreciation for how wrong it is.

(The other winner?  A local church is having a “The Truth About Dinosaurs!” event complete with bones people can fondle while they’re being made more ignorant than before.)