Today, we save the Internet (again): fix the CFAA!

9 Responses to “Today, we save the Internet (again): fix the CFAA!”

1. Leo Simonetta says:

It’s like that shot of Buffy’s tombstone “She saved the world, a lot”

2. Sigmund_Jung says:

What about mashups and API consumption? You are many times accessing websites indirectly (think embedded Google Maps). Also, I am sure this rule will be solemnly ignored according to who is accessing the website. Otherwise, I would just have a lot of fun adding the following disclaimer to any website:
    “You are not authorised to access this site if you are or have been a member of the US congress”

3. Cowicide says:

Found the “photo behind bars” that Cory mentioned at the bottom of the page (Next to Step 3) here.

4. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

So if a Congresscritter makes a campaign promise online and then fails to do it can we throw them in jail?

I really wish before they could inflict these things on the people they had to live with them for a year themselves.

5. Stooge says:

What was Aaron’s view on pop-up forms appearing every fucking time a page is loaded, even if you’re one of the 95% of the world’s population that cannot meaningfully compile it?

6. robot_makes_music says:

I think everyone should have a boilerplate EULA for engaging in conversation with them. Then, when a law enforcement official decides to engage you in conversation, you state that by engaging your conversation they agree to the following *whatever etc. etc.* – like reverse Miranda rights. Stuff like “if you perjure yourself about the contents of either party’s half of the conversation or physical actions conducted therein, in a court of law, you could be subject to severe [i wish I could add 'and overly-punitive' but that tongue-in-cheek wouldn't work well here] civil and criminal penalties…”

and “if any statements are recorded, that recording must be preserved for a minimum of 5 years and/or handed over to the subject(s) of the recording for preservation in case of any civil or criminal actions against any party participating in the filming of the recording.”

and “I reserve the right to record myself in any situation in which I feel threatened or that I feel might protect my innocence in a court of law”

Anyone got any more ideas for this?

I’m liking it! We can call them Aaron’s Rights. :)

[edit: Oh, and if this turns out to be legally invalid for private citizens, form a single-person LLC for yourself and have the EULA apply to interactions with your corporation in the form of yourself. If corporations are citizens and can force this upon other citizens, citizens should become corporations to force this *equally* upon everyone (until we all realize how utterly crazy and nonsensical things have become)]

7. B E Pratt says:

A useful tool I’ve found is something called EULAlyzer. Worth checking out and it’s free. Not a magic bullet, but a help.