Life on the Moon as imagined in 1836

27 Responses to “Life on the Moon as imagined in 1836”

1. xzzy says:

To add to the fun, the whole thing was a hoax:

Herschel never made the claims, his name was just used because he was popular at the time.

2. Lunchbox says:

Amazing! Where can I get prints?

3. Brainspore says:

Man, 19th-centuy bison couldn’t catch a break anywhere.

4. Ashley Yakeley says:

Sheer lunacy.

5. mindysan33 says:

I was just wondering the other day when people first dreamed up the concept of “aliens” as in people from another planet…. if it’s relatively modern (meaning 19th-20th C). I figure you need to have a concept of “planets” in the first place, before you can imagine people from another planet.

• chenille says:

I think the first people to suppose the heavens were full of things like the earth were ancient Greeks. Some of them, for instance atomists like Democritus and Leucippus, definitely suggested the planets were world like ours and talked about people living there.

As far as I can tell, though, the idea that their people would be alien in form only goes back to the 1800s, probably thanks to evolution. Jules Verne’s characters wonder if the moon is populated by humans, while H. G. Wells’s find it full of insectoids.

• glaborous_immolate says:

i think in the 17th-18th centuries theologian/natural philosophers assumed that God wouldn’t be wasting all these plantary bodies with nobody to live on them so they were ALL inhabited.

of course, that doesn’t fit well with the image that religion only supports the idea that man and Earth are special and unique, which science has had to displace.

6. ganman says:

Wow, the moon really _is_ a bunch of cheese.

7. grimc says:

If there are moon bison, are there also moon buffaloes, and do moon people commonly confuse them with each other?

8. Stefan Jones says:

There used to be bat-winged moon maidens, but they died out.

9. crummett says:

Seems legit. It was the “enslave all Moon men, slaughter all Moon animals” that really sold it for me.

10. pjcamp says:

That’s gonna be one tired naked moon babe.

The only one, apparently.

• Ashley Yakeley says:

Moonguys on the left and right are on their knees for her, even grooming her hair, but she only has eyes for the tall forward-looking alpha moon-man…

• max_robitzsch says:

His gaze forsees the arrival of the rapacious sky-tourists, and he is composing the death chant of his proud people. Soon, they will cease herding moon-buffalo (or moon-bison, he was never sure) by turning their neighbours upside down and knocking their heads into the fertile soil of their gracious homeland…

11. Gordon Klock says:

I remember reading about this hoax when I was a kid,there were also horned bears,(if I remember right).This almost screams for an anime-type tragic animated film,but notice how eager people back then were to be the bad guys in “Avatar”.(whaling was probably still big business around that time,not to mention various genocides going on etc.)

• max_robitzsch says:

Admittedly, even then, there was criticism of such practices – and that often happened in the form of caricature. The enslavement of the moon people depicted in that last image may well have been a harsh tongue-in-cheek…

12. Gorgeous prints. Love how they align their wings when forming a circle.

13. DreamboatSkanky says:

The Moon Hoax is just one of my favourite things of all time.  An excellent book about it is “The Sun and The Moon” by Matthew Goodman.

14. Tetsubo Kanamono says:

I also a fan of the Moon Hoax. I love that it would take more effort and expense to fake a Moon landing than actually make one.

15. Boundegar says:

My flying monkeys will soon deal with you, my fine gentlemen!

16. Ryan Lenethen says:

Is there anything whips can’t solve?