David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.

10 Responses to “Documentary about magician Ricky Jay”

1. Joe Holmes says:

I saw the film at the New York Film Festival and it’s fantastic — not just another rehash of all his tricks and card throwing (though there’s plenty of that), but a deep look into his mentors and upbringing and history. It’s a rich and moving film. Can’t wait to see it again!

2. welcomeabored says:

Although it was listed last, I think of Ricky Jay as an actor first and pretty convincing. Only later would I hear of his primary occupations.  I look forward to this film.

3. daemonsquire says:

I was hired, a few years back, to paint his name onto a really cool old magician’s poster a friend of his gave him for his birthday.

4. noah django says:

as a teen, I found a copy of his book Cards as Weapons somewhere.  I’m not sure where my copy went, but I remember it as a fascinating book full of strange illustrations, clip art, fiction, tall tales, memoir, and instruction all blurred together by a hit of really good hash that Jay had taken a decade prior and had let marinate before exhaling it onto the pages of his manuscript.  every now and then I’ll fire off a few cards across the room, with middling-to-poor results.

5. MooseDesign says:

He also starred in a really fun episode of the X-Files centered around a magic act.

6. Brainspore says:

It’s no longer in print, but I also highly recommend his book Learned Pigs and Fireproof Women of you can track down a copy.

7. Talyah Keul says:

til I looked at the receipt four $9767, I didnt believe that my cousin woz actualie bringing in money part-time on there computar.. there friends cousin has been doing this 4 less than 7 months and just paid the debts on their home and purchased a great new BMW. I went here, , ……… ZOO80.ℂom