Ordered list of credible fictions

11 Responses to “Ordered list of credible fictions”

1. I have to quibble with the placement of perpetual motion machines and free-energy devices as more credible than  humanoid robots.

• Kimmo says:

Yeah, ‘humanoid’ doesn’t seem like such a high bar to reach… Boston Dynamics’ latest seems to fit the bill.

I guess the author must’ve meant full-on androids that can pass the Turing test face to face or something.

2. dragonfrog says:

I’m not quite sure what the axis is supposed to represent.

As in “on a scale of 0 to 10, where 10 is the most (adjective) and 0 is the least (adjective)…” – what is the adjective?

3. SomeGuyNamedMark says:

“8.8 Online roleplaying scenario games”?  I was always under the assumption those weren’t meant to ever be taken as fact unless you really believe in magic casting ogres.

4. IndexMe says:

Obviously not a software developer.

• SamLL says:

When I see “specifications” near “software” I reflexively want to categorize it somewhere around “socially-generated rumor and tech speculation”.

• kmoser says:

“Specifications” refer to what the code is supposed to do; it is not necessarily related in any what to what the code actually does.

• Crashproof says:

But in reality, it’s not even what the code is supposed to do.  It’s an approximation, poorly communicated, of what someone thinks the code is supposed to do until they’ve actually used it and realize they wanted it to do something else.

• Clint Barker says:

I think his point is that the code itself is entirely truthful: the code will do exactly what it “claims” to do. A description of that code, however, could be inaccurate.

5. Seraphim_72 says:

“0.0 The ideal and unobtainable “objective truth” about objects and services”

Isn’t this where it comes full circle? If it is ideal and unobtainable isn’t it then also incredible? Thus 0.0 on the scale is also 10.0?