Detect your pulse with your webcam

10 Responses to “Detect your pulse with your webcam”

1. Matt Grimm says:

Once I learn the trick to reading other people’s pulses from facial cues, my poker game will improve significantly.

2. morcheeba says:

This is amazing work & as a signals processing guy I really like it. But there is one danger when looking at the videos.  According to the 3rd paragraph quoted above, they isolate the pulse signal and then exaggerate the colors — not the other way around. It’s tempting to see those exaggerated colors and think “wow, that’s so easy to extract the pulse from, it must be reliable” .. but it’s more a visualization & verification of data than raw source data. I suspect if you amplified the wrong signal you wouldn’t get such uniformity across the forehead … but I don’t really know – it would be interesting to see how and when this analysis breaks down. I’m looking forward to reading up on this tonight!

• Tristan H says:

I’m the programmer of the linked code (thearn), I actually had the exact same thoughts when I reviewed the original work from MIT.

post-process amplification of phenomena detected from an analysis is pretty neat looking, but only as reliable as the analysis itself.

3. slippy0 says:

I’m working with(/for) the original paper’s authors to develop an Android app that does the same thing, but also a lot more.

There are more advanced algorithms that haven’t been published yet which we hope to implement for even better and cleaner results.

• SamSam says:

iOS has had an app with this out for a while, right? When I looked on Android, I only found apps that ask you to place your finger over the camera, and they generally worked very poorly. Is the app any harder to develop for Android, for any reason?

• slippy0 says:

I wouldn’t know anything about relative difficulty to code, having never coded on iOs. My code isn’t meant for measuring pulse, but it is a feature. My app is meant to be a general purpose color and motion amplification app. As of now I have the basic color amplification algorithm (as presented in the linked paper) working, but the UX is currently garbage, and that’s something I have little experience with. Also, like I said, there are some more advanced algorithms that have shown to have much better results (more robust, less noise, etc.) that haven’t been published yet that I plan to implement after I get the UX down.

4. Back in 2009, i wrote my MSc dissertation on this technique, and developed it using the method in Takano, 2007 http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S1350453306001901