How the face changes with shifting light sources

24 Responses to “How the face changes with shifting light sources”

1. Kenmrph says:

This reminds me of a particular episode of Seinfeld, and being on acid.

2. fractos says:

That’s about the nearest equivalent I’ve seen for a very common LSD visual (well, at least it was common for me :) )

3. A two-minute and sixteen second ‘teaser’ for a music video?

4. Friedrich says:

Posted as a comment under the video on vimeo – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEyt2z1fuNA, you could call it an homage.

• Kenmrph says:

you know what, there is a bit of a similarity there.

• Shai_Hulud says:

Also in the accompanying text of the vimeo video- “Thanks to Clouzot and my fantastic team for inspire me.”

“Speaking to The Huffington Post, Guzmán explained the video is actually an homage to deceased French director Henri-Georges Clouzot. In his final unfinished film, “L’enfer,” Clouzot employed a similar lighting technique.

Intrigued by the visual style, Guzmán sought to determine how the
      eerie lighting was constructed. However, since there was no accounts
      describing how Clouzot created the lighting atmosphere, Guzmán had to
      devise his own method.” (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/04/16/opale-sparkles-and-wine-video-lighting_n_3094458.html)

5. i i says:

interesting. though this has been a well documented feature of noh masks for several hundred years…

6. woodly says:

“Yes, I am familiar with this syndrome – she’s a two face.” – Cooo-STAN-za!

7. noah django says:

looks like they made it private somewhere in the last 20 minutes or so

8. Le_Woodman says:

I can’t see the video. It says “private video – if you have permission to watch this video, please type in your password”

9. tmburke says:

Damn, saw the post this morning when the video was working, went to show it to my partner now and it’s private :-(

10. Aaron Swain says:

Looks like Nacho doesn’t want any boing boing juice.

11. It’s working for me. And, like Fractos, very familiar as well.

12. Linley Lee says:

I wished the light moved slower so you could see the change better.

13. Lyle Hopwood says:

The moving shadow under the nose made me think of the thing Samantha does in Bewitched, and once I’d noticed that, I couldn’t really absorb the rest of it.

14. Joshua Medicinebird says:

I think this is a great illustration of why a good (if not great) DP & DL can make or break a movie – not just for how ‘good’ they make the actors look, but for how the emotions of the actors gets conveyed.

15. no matter the light or the angle…. this is the woman of my dreams. sadly, we missed by two decades.

16. Robo-Design says:

or how to turn your nose into a sundial.