Carving an artificial cavern under NYC

22 Responses to “Carving an artificial cavern under NYC”

1. Grahamers2002 says:

A blessing, huh?  http://29.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt42qsBAz11r0go7xo1_500.jpg

2. GawainLavers says:

No boring machine?  Boring.

3. Stefan Jones says:

Real reason the 2nd Avenue Subway has taken so long:

C.H.U.D.S. eating the workers and gumming up the machinery.

4. Justin Carlson says:

Is it just me, or do those look like cg renderings instead of pics?

(I can tell by the pixels and seeing quite a few…yadda yadda…)

5. knoxblox says:

Income Property’s Scott McGillivray:
    “So, which renovation option do you think you will choose — Option 1, with the one bedroom and large living area, or Option 2, with two bedrooms, and the smaller entertainment nook?”

6. Graceless says:

There’s a Megadeus down there. I can feel it.

7. Boundegar says:

Plenty of torches, there should be no problem with creepers.

8. dave3 says:

“Think we should have an engineer take a look at this?” “Nah, it’s been blessed by a Catholic priest.”

9. David McClelland says:

Die Hard With A Vengeance comes to life!  If this becomes a documentary, just think how creepy it would be to have Jeremy Irons narrate it.

• max00 says:

(Many of?) The scenes in Die Hard 3 were filmed in the actual tunnels. There really is a giant aqueduct being constructed.

10. foobar says:

I’m pretty sure you need a wizard to deal with Balrogs.

11. jonathanhl says:

Living a couple blocks away from the work site, you can frequently feel the rumble of falling debris after a tnt detonation, a tremor almost as strong as the VA earthquake a year and a half ago, which was a shocker for someone like me who experienced Loma Prieta. For some reason, the detonations seem to conveniently occur in the evenings right after everyone has returned from work.

Phase 1 of the four part project is due to be complete by 2016. It will encompass the completion of just four stations starting at 96th street and connect to an existing line that runs down Broadway. I’m fairly certain I’ll have shuffled off this mortal coil before the entire line is complete. Here’s more info about the project: http://www.mta.info/capconstr/sas/sas_description.htm

@stefanjones:disqus , I like CHUD reference. I was an art department PA on that film. I get a lot of street cred out of that with my animation peeps.

12. kmoser says:

Digging an artificial cavern: as opposed to digging a natural cavern?

• Jason's Robot says:

That struck me as odd, too.
      But, as it turns out, some definitions of cave or cavern include the designation ‘natural’ or ‘naturally occurring’.
      But, still. ‘digging a cavern’ would have been just fine.  Perhaps ‘man-made cavern’ would be the way to go.

• echolocate chocolate says:

I totally dig natural AND artificial caverns, man.

13. Eark_the_Bunny says:

“I ain’t afraid of no ghost!”

14. Ian Scott Osborne says:

My cavern too was blessed by a Ca-

15. Anton Gully says:

Our caveman descendants are going to be so freaked out when they find all these tunnels under the rubble.