12 Responses to “Goodnight Moon as a horror movie”

1. Doug Nelson says:

I’m afraid I don’t get it. What does this have to do with the book?

2. jimkirk says:

Don’t know about Goodnight Moon, but I would totally watch the Calvin & Hobbes movie.

3. Manny says:

I would definitely buy a ticket to that version of a Calvin & Hobbes movie.

4. xplanes says:

as a new parent, who never saw the book as a youngster, I find the actual book itself creepy enough – the wonky perspective, the lack of a landscape outside the windows, the mush, knitting in moonlight…

• jackbird says:

I like Elizabeth Kolbert’s take on it in a New Yorker book review of a brace of childrens’ books a couple of years ago:

“Goodnight Moon” is more restrained, more exacting, and more lyrical than anything written for children today. In its own quiet way, it is also more brutal.

The struggle between parent and child that is the explicit subject of so many bedtime stories is, in “Goodnight Moon,” only implicit. Indeed, there’s no parent on the scene. The story begins with the little rabbit, drawn with wonderful flatness by Clement Hurd, already in bed. It is seven o’clock. A few pages later, according to the blue clock on the mantelpiece and the yellow clock on the bed table, it is seven-twenty. Then it is seven-thirty, then seven-forty. When the “good-nighting” begins, it is not clear who is doing the speaking. The moon is rising, yet the light grows dimmer. The clocks tick on—seven-fifty, eight o’clock. A parent is bigger than a child, but still a person. He or she can be appealed to, as in “Bedtime for Frances,” or even tricked, as in “Good Night, Gorilla.” The arrangement in “Goodnight Moon” is completely uneven. Time moves forward, and the little bunny doesn’t stand a chance. Parent and child are, in this way, brought together, on tragic terms. You don’t want to go to sleep. I don’t want to die. But we both have to.

5. Wayne Dyer says:

I always thought this book was immensely sad as I interpret it as if the child is dying.

6. I can only hear Goodnight Moon in the voice of Christopher Walken.

7. David Kasdan says: