DragonBox: an educational game that teaches you algebra

7 Responses to “DragonBox: an educational game that teaches you algebra”

1. Robb Doody says:

Great game. My four year old son beats me at it constantly. Looking forward to him trying out his first algebra problems at school and realizing he’s just playing Dragonbox.

2. fordsbasement says:

My daughter enjoys this game. It’s really sneaky — she’s having fun, but learning mathematical fundamentals. And anything that can make math fun for kids makes the grade.

3. peregrinus says:

Now this is the kind of genius thing that evolves us beyond the 20th century!  More of it, please.

I’ve met hardly any kids who weren’t smart enough to do this kind of thing – and regular education simply can’t and won’t provide the level playing field to allow excellence to develop in every student.

Say ‘au revoir’ to old ways of allocating rewards, and ‘bonjour’ to the incipient society we’ve been waiting for!

4. Scurra says:

I’m sure I was playing these sorts of games on my “second generation” home computers back in the early 1980s.  I recall a particularly brilliant Space Invaders clone that required you to do some pretty sophisticated fractional calculations on the fly.
    Sadly back in those days it was much harder to find the audience that would appreciate things like that.

5. lorq says:

It really is an incredibly astute game.  It doesn’t focus on “numbers,” but rather on “arranging things,” moving elements around on both sides of the equals sign — which is of course the procedural core of algebra.  Also, its scoring system has multiple criteria, so you don’t have the anxiety of trying to find the one-and-only-one right answer, but rather finding the *best* or most optimal answer in the most efficient way.

6. chgoliz says:

I encourage parents to get this game sooner rather than later: by the time we got it (maybe 6 months to a year ago?),  my youngest was old enough that she liked it at first but it didn’t hold her interest in the long run.  (And we’re all math nerds in this household, so it’s not a lack of interest or skill in that area.)

I’d say: 5 to 7 is probably the right age for most kids.  If anything, skew younger, not older.

7. Jonathan_Harford says:

Your link goes only to the iTunes version! Why not link to the site?