Siri keeps data for "up to two years", but only anonymously

10 Responses to “Siri keeps data for "up to two years", but only anonymously”

1. headcode says:

I’m trying to figure out why this is a story. Someone help me out here.

• lecti says:

Because this will be followed by the usual mass hysteria around Apple, with the truncated title “Siri keeps your private data for up to 2 years!”.

• retepslluerb says:

Because it’s private and possible sensitive data.  I actually understand the need of Apple (and doubtless others) to keep this data around to us it as test cases.

However, just disassociating isn’t really enough to protect from possible misuse, should it come to that, because it still contains identifiable personal information and apparently also the voice print.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if some researchers would demonstrate how easy it is the re-associate the voicedata to a person.

Again, I don’t assume nefarious purposes, but it’s certainly important enough to keep an eye on them.

• This is the unstory. Like: Apple wouldn’t tell you how long they log your voice requests – that was a story. Is the policy insane? Let’s find out… Ok…that seems pretty OK as a policy (if followed!).

This is why clearly declared data policies as a proactive measure are good corporate PR.

• vonbobo says:

Are you serious? Or are you trying to divert the customary iphone attackers?

Also… should be just a matter of a few days before this story will reappear with the name Android.

2. Halloween_Jack says:

So it’s possible that that one time I was drunk and told Siri that I was lonely and asked her why she couldn’t be a real girl won’t come back to haunt me forever? Good to know.

3. the human centipad isn’t far off!

4. James Penrose says:

Amazing how simple it would be to allow Apple’s subjects, err customers a choice in these matters .  But that never seems to enter their pointy little heads in Cupertino.  You can do it Apple’s way or sod off.

Ever wonder what else they might not be telling you?  An iPhone is not always off when turned off, what else do they record?

• lecti says:

Not really.  Do you have something more concrete that we should be worried about?  If not, I’d like to take off the tinfoil hat now.  Thanks.

• retepslluerb says:

If you go by “what else they might not be telling you“: Do you use Bing or Google?  And an Android phone whose source code – and I mean the *complete* source code of all components you use – you may use?